Windows 7 on my Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Batsassin, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Batsassin macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've had so many issues trying to get Windows 7 on my iMac. I downloaded several ISOs but every time I would try to boot it up my USB would not be recognized, and once I used refind it recognized it but it would start on a black screen with a blinking screen. Then I downloaded Virtual Box and tried to get it to work through there but no luck. I then decided it was something wrong with the ISO so I downloaded a Windows 8 one but my Mac doesn't take any ISOs over Windows 7.

I hope someone can give me step by step instructions on how to do this task. I have a flash drive, an ISO and I just want Windows 7 on my Mac so I can play Steam Windows games on it. I do not want to use Wine skin, or anything like that.

Please help

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Use the bootcamp assistant, that will create a bootable USB drive - provided your iMac does not have an optical drive. Only those macs with no optical drive will have this. If you do have an older iMac with the optical drive then you'll need the win 7 DVD disc

3. Batsassin thread starter macrumors newbie

I told you in the post, I'm using my flash drive and all of this I was doing in bootcamp

4. Baytriple macrumors 6502

I've just installed win 8 into my retina 15 via USB. All I can say us stick with it. A few things I learnt. Use a USB 2 flash USB not USB 3. Make sure you have no external connections. Example any other connects apart from power and Ethernet.

Then I wish you good luck. Watch a YouTube video or two. There are many walk throughs on there.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

But you never said what iMac you have. If it has an optical drive, you need to use that to install Windows. USB will not work.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And I said in my post if your iMac has an optical drive then you cannot use a bootable USB drive. It requires the windows DVD disc

7. Batsassin thread starter macrumors newbie

My apologies for the misunderstanding. But I have an ISO, can I just download that to a burnable disc? If so, what type of burnable disc do I buy?

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Get a DVD-R, run Bootcamp Assistant and let it burn the DVD using the ISO you already have as the source.
    Also check the box selecting to download the latest support software so that it gets burned to the same DVD.
    Before you do any of this, though, use Disk Utility to erase any Windows partitions that you may have already created.
    Bootcamp Assistant will create the partition you want but it won't work if you already have more than one partition created.
    After the DVD is burned and the partition is created your Macbook will automatically reboot and the Windows installation will begin automatically.
    When you get to the part of the installation where it asks where to install Windows you select the newly created partition.
    The installation might fail at that point because that new partition still needs to be formatted as NTFS so use the advanced options right within the installation program to format the partition and then the installation will proceed.
    Don't have any other USB hard drives or flash drives connected during this process.