Windows 7 on New (2011) MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Trio2, May 6, 2011.

1. Trio2 macrumors newbie

I understand that the newer (2011) MBP and iMacs do not support Win XP running in Boot Camp. This means (for me) and upgrade to Win 7.

I use XP for two programs only: an old newsgroup reader from 2002 (Xnews) and Quicken 2011.

Now, because I have not kept up with Windows development since XP, I'm concerned about running older Windows software on a newer version of Windows. Will Win 7 run the old (2002) program? Is this done as it is in XP or is there some sort of compatibility setting(s) that need to be done?

Thanks for your help,
    Trio2

2. SithTracy macrumors newbie

SithTracy

Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Pro have XP mode... That said Parallels or Fusion might be a good option for you if you need a few Windows apps. Personally, I run Boot Camp and have 7 installed for PhotoDex ProShow Producer. And because I am the resident PC expert in town, I run all Malware scanning and virus scanning from the boot camp windows build with an Addonics USB2 to SATA bridge when I make house calls. I did not allocate much space for Windows 7, but I have enough room for my needs.

3. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Windows XP SHOULD run on your MBP.

I've only slightly tested it, but, you can successfully boot to the Windows XP install CD. This is as far as I went, seeing as I've already got 7 installed and didn't want to fight with backing up/restoring everything just to test it.

The only thing is, you won't be able to install Boot Camp drivers(at least not the latest version, you may be able download and install an older version of the Boot Camp drivers package for Windows). Without the Boot Camp driver package installed, you won't be able to use some of the features of your computer, such as media keys, multitouch on the trackpad, etc., but you will be able to run XP.

You'll have to manually install drivers, but you may even be able to just copy the ones from your install DVD and install them individually. It depends if said driver is compatible with XP. If it isn't, there may be drivers on the internet that are.

If you'd like some more info on doing this, I'd be glad to help you.

4. Trio2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolved

Thanks for all your help. I decided to go with XP running in VM Ware Fusion in a virtual machine. No need to set up and mess with Win 7 if I really don't need to.

Trio2

5. cortasia macrumors newbie

Does the inability to istall Bootcamp drivers for Win7 also mean no sounds...? I am having trouble installing the latest drivers... And have no sound, and I think airport/wireless.

Cheers! :apple:

6. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Yep, it means exactly that. You can try manually installing the drivers individually with Compatibility Mode if they don't want to play nice with XP. Or you can check the Vendor's site for drivers designed for XP, if said drivers are available.