Windows 7 on Optibay drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mcfly2, Sep 26, 2010.

1. mcfly2 macrumors member

I know there are many threads about this, but I couldn't find anything definitive, except that many people have problems trying to install windows from an external drive.

I have a new MBP with a stock SSD in the main bay. I have an Optibay kit and an extra 160GB HD. I'd like to install the 160GB HD in the Optibay, and install Windows 7 on it. Since most people seem to have problems installing from an external DVD drive, here's my plan:

1) Remove the SSD and install the 160GB HD into the main bay.
    2) Install OSX onto the 160GB HD. (I assume I need to install OSX on this drive so that I can run the Bootcamp Assistant and create the Windows partition. Is this correct?)
    3) Run Bootcamp Assistant and install Windows 7 on the HD via the DVD drive that is still internal.
    4) Remove the 160GB HD, put the SSD back in the main bay, remove the DVD drive, install the 160GB HD and the Optibay enclosure.

Does this make sense? If so, I now have 2 different bootable OSX partitions, and 1 Windows partition. Will I be able to easily choose any boot drive on startup? I'd rather not have the 2nd OSX partition but I assume I need that to be able to install windows on the 2nd drive. Is there a way to remove or disable the OSX partition that's on the HD after all is done?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Your approach seems like it should work.

You can skip OS X on your Windows drive. When that is the only drive in the system, insert the Windows install disc and boot your Mac holding Alt/Option to get to the Boot Selector prompt. Select the install disc and proceed as with a normal PC.

Swap drives and try to boot, again using Alt/Option. you can always add rEFIt if you want to customize the boot process some more.

B

3. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that worked great! By using Alt/Option I was able to install Windows directly to the drive. Once I got Windows installed, I used the OSX DVD to install the Bootcamp drivers (while running Windows), and everything worked beautifully after that (sound, display, network). I also installed Refit so that I can choose the boot drive on startup, without having to remember the Alt/Option key press.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Great!

When you get a chance, please confirm that all is well once you swapped the drives back and removed the SuperDrive.

B

5. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I meant to say that. I've installed the stock SSD back into the main bay, and the 160GB HD into the Optibay, and everything is working as expected, including the external Superdrive.

One thing, I'm not in love with the Superdrive enclosure that comes with the MCE Optibay. It's open on the end, and it requires 2 USB ports. Anyone know of a more elegant solution that makes use of my existing Superdrive? Or will other 3rd party external DVD drives work? I thought I remembered reading that the Macbook Air external Superdrive will not work with the MBP.