Windows 7 on rMBP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pk314, Jun 9, 2014.

1. pk314 macrumors member

Hi,

I recently just switched from PC to Mac and am a proud owner of a late 2013 13in rMBP. My question is that if I can obtain an ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium, can I use the product key off my previous HP laptop which has Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium on it and run it from bootcamp? And if I can do this, will I be able to run an activated version of Windows 7 on both my HP and my Mac? Thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Your product key can only be activated on one machine. I am not sure if it is against Microsoft EULA to use a key that shipped on a machine on another...

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It may be possible to somehow unregister your copy of Windows from from your previous machine and then use the key in Bootcamp on your Mac, (Just a baseless guess) but definitely no way to use it on both at the same time.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The OEM license that would have come with the HP laptop is tied to that machine. No transferring, and absolutely no running it at the same time on the Mac.

Besides, Windows 8.1 is better suited to run on a Retina display than Windows 7.