Windows 7 on SD card [2010 13" MBP]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OrangeSVTguy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If I buy a 32-64gb SD card, can I install my Windows 7 image to it and boot from it? I'm not worried about it being suPer fast or anything. I've searched but found conflicting data. I used Winclone to image my bootcamp partition before I installed a second HDD so I can no longer create a new bootcamp partition.

Anyone know for sure this works if you tried it. Please no relaying information if you haven't tried this yourself. This probably why there is conflicting data.

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I am not sure myself but that would be awesome. Orange, what did winclone do that makes your computer unbootcampable?

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i doubt you can boot form it.
    i know if you have a 17" you can boot off an ssd 34pin express card

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I have no idea about Win7 on an SD card, but out of curiousity I did run across two neat articles.

MacLife: Build a Bootable Rescue SD Card For Your Mac

From Apple's About the SD card slot:
    I think this establishes that the SD card is bootable on recent systems. The key question remains what will happen if you boot Win7 from it?

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Mac and linux can be booted from an SD card.

Windows theoretically can if you hack the installer. However it is VERY buggy and blue screens on boot more often than not.

What happens is when windows begins booting up it loads the drivers for everything. At the point it loads the usb drivers, it basically interrupts itself, since it is in fact booting from usb.

6. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I've done this for OSX install disk, super easy.

Win7 I had issues with and gave up. Not saying it can't be done but wasn't as cut and dry as OSX.

7. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I have my cloned image so I don't care if the installer won't work. I'd just like to know if I buy the SD card, if I can just restore the image to the SD card after I format it.

I will probably just break the concaceted so I can create a bootcamp. You can't create the BC partition since it's basically a RAID or JBOD.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe you'll need to hack windows, I believe the design of windows prohibits the use of USB/SD cards as a viable boot device.

it can be done, but does require hacking

9. andbiv macrumors newbie

Can you tell me how you are booting win7 from the express card slot? I have not been able to find anybody that is able to do it.

Thanks,

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

34-pin expresscard ssd like this