windows 7 on the mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jake020793, Nov 16, 2009.

1. jake020793 macrumors newbie

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I do it all the time.

My preference is to use VMWare Fusion and run it in a virtual machine window. I then put it in its own desktop space using Spaces. That way I can cmd-arrow-key to switch between Mac and Windows. You can get away with this on a 2GB Mac, giving the virtual machine 1GB, but that's pretty much the minimum configuration. But it does work and is reasonably responsive (though booting the Win7 virtual machine takes a good long while). USB and network peripherals work great.

Another approach is to set up Boot Camp and use your Win7 install disk. I've done this too. That way you can choose which OS to boot into, and it'll enjoy all the hardware resources at full speed. Just follow the Boot Camp instructions. (You'll need your OS X CD as well as your Win 7 CD.) Depending on how up-to-date your OS is, you may need to tell Boot Camp that it's "Vista" rather than Win7, but I believe the latest OS X revision has a setting for Win7.

There's a hybrid approach, too: you can use Fusion to boot the Boot Camp installation as a virtual machine.

Anyway, there are many ways of going about using Win7 on your Mac. Parallels Desktop is another, similar to Fusion. By some metrics it's a little faster. I wouldn't recommend VirtualBox to a newbie even though it's free, but it's another possibility.