Windows 7 Online Download - Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Melodeath, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

So my friend has informed me that we can get Windows 7, 64-bit for free/cheap through our university as a download link. I was wondering, is it possible to use this version of Windows 7 to install Windows using Boot Camp? All the boot camp tutorials I've seen involve inserting a Windows 7 disc, so I'm not sure if this sort of thing would work.

Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The download will most likely be an ISO image that you can create a physical DVD from.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

sometimes the university downloads are a .exe file that you have to run in order to get the actual download. If that's the case you may have a problem.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Search the forum for "student iso" for links to isos that will work if exe doesn't. Worst case you install from the iso in trial mode (no key) and upgrade using the EXE.

B

5. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, is it indeed an ISO file. So everything should be fine? Boot camp supports Windows 7 64-bit?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

On the Macs where Apple has decided to support it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1846

If you're not on the list it doesn't mean it won't work, it'll just require some manual intervention unless you have an early 32 bit only Intel Mac.

B

7. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. The MBP I get would be a June 2009 15", so it looks like it's supported.