Windows 7 or 8 which is better for my friend

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Last iOS 5 user, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Last iOS 5 user macrumors member

My friend hates Mavericks and doesn't want Yosemite
    He would like to install Windows onto his Mac.
    For him, the interface is a big thing. He often uses the computer for Youtube, internet, work, and Minecraft.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the interface is a big thing, then he should decide which is the better OS, win7 or 8.

I personally, I like win8, but I also avoid the metro interface and use a start menu utility.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Keep in mind that Windows 8.1 update 2 (or Windows 8.2 or whatever they're calling it these days) is coming out in September, and will bring back the proper oldschool start menu, along with allowing Metro apps to run in a window. Once it hits, there will practically be no functional differences between Win 8 and Win 7 from a UI standpoint.

You'll be able to enjoy all the advantages of Windows 8 (lighter memory footprint, slightly better performance, overall smoother experience), without any of its disadvantages (the always controversial UI). With this in mind, Win8 is the better choice.

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Don't bother with Windows 7. If your going with a new OS, install Windows 8 (and fully update it) and then pick a Start Menu replacement; I would recommend StartIsBack or Start8.