Windows 7 or 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Motoxmann, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Motoxmann macrumors member

Expecting delivery of new iMac tomorrow and want to install windows through bootcamp solely for gaming purposes. Should I go with 7 or 8.1? I've heard a ton of mixed stuff on 8 so don't know if its worth it. Thanks.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

While I don't mind 8.1, I still prefer Windows 7. If you can get 7, use that.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with win8 at this point since you now can disable the metro interface and get the start button back. I personally prefer win7 but I'm hearing more positive feedback with win8

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

i've had both, i like win 8.1, but if you like simple go for win 7. you can always upgrade like i did. it was flawless, no need to edit the partition or anything it was like a regular upgrade. You just have to reinstall apple bootcamp drivers

5. Motoxmann thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. Gonna run over to best buy and see if I can pick up 8.1. FedEx just dropped off the imac!!

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I have Windows 7 in a VM with 2 processors and 2GB of RAM.

My school is offering a free copy of Windows 8 through one of my classes. I haven't used it and was curious to try it out. Does it run better than Windows 7 in your experience?

7. ATC macrumors 6502a

On my ageing but still running early '09 iMac (with 8GB RAM) I've had Windows 7 x64 installed and ran great. I recently removed W7 and installed Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (on same hardware) and noticed a pretty decent increase in general performance; my apps and everything in the OS itself seem to run noticeably faster and smoother. Interestingly my hardware is not officially supported to run any version of windows 8, or BootCamp 5 for that matter, but it's running both perfectly fine. :cool:

So I would say, with all else being equal, definitely go with 8.1.

On a side note; I personally hate Metro or Modern UI (whatever they call it), that monstrosity they call a start screen. On the recommendation of a friend, I installed Classic Shell 4 (link), it's a free app to replace the start screen with windows7-style start menu. In one word, it's awesome! It's a fully functional start menu (like in W7) and very customizable, letting you boot right into the desktop and disable charms etc... I highly recommend it.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Depends. While I prefer to have the latest OS installed, I'm downgrading to Windows 7 so I have more compatibility with software such as Solidworks, Surfcam, Mastercam, etc.

On my desktop, I haven't upgraded or even thought of upgrading since all I use it for is games and nothing else so far.

9. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

Windows 7 is the best windows version released to date . Most people do not like windows 8 including me . I prefer a classic desktop . Windows 8 is still a good os though but only on a tablet in my opinion . Most people who use Windows 8 only do so because it came with there new computer .

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

how do you do that?

11. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Google will spit out many ways of how to do it. Skip Metro Suite is just one of them or watch this video.

12. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

You can get the start menu back with this Program .