Windows 7 or Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by theNEOone, Jan 11, 2009.

1. theNEOone macrumors 6502

What would you recommend I install on my Windows partition on a MBP?

I'm definitely excited to play around with the new OS, but I also want it to actually work - I'm not always in the mood to be troubleshooting, and just need things to work every now and then, you know? I will bootcamp into Windows for games, and use Fusion for Office, Money, and Chrome.

What are the benefits to running Win7 over Vista? What are the disadvantages?

=|

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Benefits: It actually runs well.
    Disadvantages: It expires August 1, 2009.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I recommend Windows 7. Less ram hog, not too much of a hassle, and boots very quickly. If you want an easier experience, go with 32-bit. Boot Camp drivers work better if you use 32 bit.

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Vista runs well also...

Benefits of using Windows 7: New features that may tickle your fancy.
    Faster boot time.
    All the features in Vista.
    Free.

Downfalls of 7:
    No support. You get updates, but nothing beyond that really.
    There are bugs. Some of them may cause BSODs/Crashing.
    Expires August 1st.
    There is a higher risk of data loss due to a crash.
    Getting drivers to work can be a bit tricky.

I like Windows 7, but I wouldn't use it as my main OS though. I did install it on my MBP, but my main OS it is Mac OS X. I didn't install Windows 7 on my desktop. I had it installed, but then Windows 7's bootloader got messed up, couldn't be fixed, and I lost a lot of data/files. To put it simply, I was pissed.

5. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

No backup? Tut tut. :p

6. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

What bugs are you referring to? Most people that have posted about Win 7 say that it runs better than Vista.

I'm not too concerned about the expiration date...

One of the reasons I'm excited about Win 7 is that I'm hopeful that MS will release an update that provides better multi-touch support for the MBP trackpad. From what I've read so far, the trackpad under Vista is crap and the most recent Apple driver update made things worse....Call me a conspiracy theorist, but this makes sense to me, as it's in Apple's best interest to make the user experience better in OS X than in Windows. Multi touch gestures is one of the "wow" factors for people, so highlighting the experience in OS X is probably a key Apple initiative. With that being said, I think that our best hope for MBP trackpad drivers in Windows will be Microsoft.

=|

7. James17 macrumors 6502

Definitely Windows 7. It's actually very decent compared to Vista's performance.