Windows 7 or Windows 8? rMBP 2014 15" High End

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chaofahn, Dec 7, 2014.

1. chaofahn macrumors member

chaofahn

Hi guys,

I was trying to avoid installing Windows as much as I could, but my work dictates that I use a program I don't have the Mac version of (unless I resort to other means). And thus my question is:

> Which version of Windows would you recommend? Windows 7 or Windows 8?

The program that I will be using is a V-ray for Sketchup, a 3D-visualizer and rendering program, and I will need to render architectural drawings. I have the Windows version but not the Mac one.

> Will using V-ray on Windows 7 be faster? Or will it be better on Windows 8?
    > I've read the space requirements but both versions, but realistically how much space did each one take? I don't want to partition too much of my SSD for Windows.

My Mac is: 2014 15" rMBP, 2.5 i7 Intel Core, 16GB RAM with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M card.

Thanks in advance!

2. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

If you are using it for a single application, without needing to do web browsing on it, then my opinion would be Windows 7 in VirtualBox.

Windows 8 has a crap UI of course, but does have some security improvements over Win 7. So, if you are not going to expose yourself to the Web (browsing) while using your Win VM then I would just go with Win 7 which will provide a much more desirable UI. Too bad Win 10 isn't ready yet or that may be the way to go.

3. chaofahn thread starter macrumors member

chaofahn

Thanks for the reply. I'm fine with an annoying UI, I think the thing most important for me would be performance. Will there be a difference between the two? If I remember correctly, there was a performance difference for games when jumping from XP to Win7. I'm not sure if this performance bump also applies to 3D intensive programs, but surely it does?

I might have to use the web to download stuff lol Skype but that's probably about it.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Looking only at 3D performance (and ignoring startup, shutdown, file transfer times, etc.) the few benchmarks I've seen give the win to Windows 7.
    And installing Windows via Bootcamp should be faster than trying to run it virtually from within OSx.

5. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

After running both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 in VMware fusion I can say that in general use, Windows 8.1 was noticeably faster. For 3D effects you'll want to use bootcamp.

6. chaofahn thread starter macrumors member

chaofahn

Is Windows 8.1 faster for 3D rendering? Or were you talking exclusively about the UI?

Sauce please! :p

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Windows 8.1 is better equipped to handle ultra-high-resolution scaling on a Retina display versus Windows 7.

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My text is too small on Windows 7 Pro 15" via bootcamp.

Are you saying my Windows text will be normal if I use Win 8.1?

10. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Windows 8.1 supports HiDPI while Windows 7 does not.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

And that would result in normal looking fonts/text size in Win 8.1 ?