Windows 7 or Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rayward, Aug 13, 2013.

1. rayward macrumors 68000

My wife wants to run Windows on my iMac for limited applications (no gaming) - mostly, she just prefers to use Windows. I'm going to get Parallels 8 and then install a fresh copy of Windows within it - no bootcamp required. So, am I better off getting Windows 7 or 8?

I see that copies of Windows 7 are available on the interwebs, but MS has only Windows 8 for download. Any recommendations? Thoughts?

Also, I see that Parallels has a built-in Windows wizard. Any idea if this pulls down 7 or 8?

TIA

2. b06tmm, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

I recently purchased a rMBP and installed Parallels and Windows 8 with no issues. I purchased Windows (system builder 64bit) via Amazon so I had a physical disk. Here's a screen shot of the Parallels Wizard:

[​IMG]

Windows 8 has a learning curve to it so your wife might be better off with 7.

As you can see from the screen shot of the wizard, you need the physical media.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Windows 8 is just a meaner, faster 7 with the ability to do tablet stuff. As long as you don't mind the changes to the interface and the fact that your Apps are presented to you on startup, you'll probably find it pleasantly fast, stable and easy to use.

If you find it impossible to simply ignore/delete the tablet stuff, you're probably best with Windows 7.

4. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Has your wife ever tried Windows 8 before? If not, better go to a store and try it out before considering buying Win 8. The Metro/Modern UI of Win 8 is optimized for touch-screen devices, but not for desktops using mouse and keyboard. If you are just planning to run traditional Windows applications such as MS Office instead of Win 8-style apps, Windows 7 is a better choice.

5. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Windows 8.. it weird at first but you will get used to it

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Windows 7. Windows 8 is worst than Vista and ME combined. :eek:

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Wrong.

Also wrong.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No I'm not.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

What a well thought out and informative response. Your communication skills and ability to prove my opinions wrong meet no ends.

10. warplane95 macrumors regular

w8 est plus rapide sur le shutdown et le startup.

w7 est meilleur d environ 10% dans les jeux.

pour moi j aime mieux w8 car je joue uniquement a sc2, on peut cliker pause sur le transfert de fichier, je trouve que mes clef usb sont détecter beaucoup plus vite, plus ergonomique.

pour moi la meilleur combinaison est de mettre classic shell+original desktop

11. MJL macrumors 6502a

misinformed

----------

also misinformed

----------

tired of talking to a prejudiced person

----------

not weird - boot directly into desktop with 8.1, will be released 17 October

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Again... another person who clearly knows what they are on about with a beautifully written response that debates my point.

Is it a crime to want decent responses instead of mindless ad-hock reckons of my posts? Do I seriously have to ask you why you don't agree with my points? If you're tired to talking to me then don't reply. But I'ma keep on talking to maybe add some clarity to my post and hopefully get a decent response that is more than a one worded condescending sneer..

My point was that Windows 8 is pretty much Windows 7 with tablet features. I still stand by that. I use Windows 8 as my main OS at the moment. Upon installation I found it faster and snappier than Windows 7. Whereas it has new desktop features such as File History, native blueray and USB 3, beefed up multi-monitor support and many other UI tweaks; most of the new features are focused for tablet devices.

That doesn't mean it is bad on a desktop or laptop PC though. Yes, it has changes and many more will come with 8.1, but once you've learned the ropes it is simple enough. By pinning nothing but desktop apps to my start screen, I don't even see most of the tablet stuff, only the start screen, which acts as a fullscreen start menu. Everything else occurs on the desktop since I don't use the tablet apps.

Personally, I never saw the huge fuss over Windows 8. It isn't perfect and I'm sure people and myself will find flaws with 8.1, but it is far from the disaster people like to make out. But some people still don't like it. And there is nothing wrong with Windows 7 either. Either or is fine, but I recommend 8.

13. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Parallels can handle disk images - physical media is not required.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No I'm not. I think you are.

15. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

you can buy windows 8 for $50, what does that tell ya;)

16. rayward thread starter macrumors 68000

FWIW, I bought a copy of Windows 7. Not yet installed, but ready to go in when I get to it.

17. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Windows 7

Personally, I would choose Windows 7 over Windows 8 mainly because of the drastic interface change from 7 to 8. If your wife is already accustomed to Windows operating systems and prefers them, she is probably familiar with the Windows 7 style interface already.

18. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Windows 7 would be the best option here. Windows 8 will give you carpel tunnel trying to use it without a touch screen. It was not well thought out in my opinion, and Microsoft clearly did not listen to their customers for this release.

Windows 7 is the tried and true version that provides the most stability.