Windows 7 or XP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JasonR, Jun 11, 2009.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I have a New Unibody MBP 17 and MBP 13. I need to install Windows to run quickbooks pro. Should I use Windows 7 or XP? I've installed Windows 7 on an older MBP no problem.

Are the multitouch drivers decent under windows? I plan to use Parallels most of the time, but I might do some light gaming in Windows.

2. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

Windows 7
    -Still RC1, meaning not final product
    -will expire in june 2010 (RC1)
    -I had bluetooth keyboard issues initially, but managed to work it out

you will probably have to reinstall windows 7 if you plan to keep using it after the RC1 expires

Windows XP
    -stable
    -wont have to reinstall since it is already a real product

beyond that, I think windows 7 performs faster and a little more eyecandy than xp. If you like messing around with your windows os, i would play around with windows 7. if not, I would get XP and be done with it since you are aiming at using it for some type of work.

as far as multitouch goes, it never seemed to like my unibody macbook touchpad. i used an external mouse all the time when I was under bootcamp. I despised the multitouch in windows 7 or xp.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you go for XP, note that you can't upgrade to Windows 7 but must reinstall.

4. AlfaLavala macrumors regular

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

Doesn't really matter which one you use, as you should be reformatting when windows 7 comes out in full and installing that

7. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Another vote for...

WIN 7. Fast, stable, reliable. Yeah you need to reinstall when it offically is released but you are going to get to use the Release Candidate for free until mid-2010. It is a good OS...not as good as OSX but damned good, none the less. I have had NO problems running it under Fusion,and, BTW, it is quite fast on a 3 year old Sony Vaio with 1 Gb of ram and an old CPU, as well.

8. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

+1. Win 7 is far and away the best OS MS has ever made. Almost... Mac-like! (Almost):D

9. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Windows 7 will run better than XP, just let XP die!

10. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I'm running XP Pro and every version of quickbooks Pro back to 99 (I'm a CPA). Can't vouch for compatibility with 7, but they all work well with XP. And as I recall older versions of qbooks don't work with Vista. Even qbooks 09 runs pretty fast in VMware, so my vote is XP.

Mark

11. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Install the 32bit version of Windows 7 and you should not have any problems at all.

XP is for wimps :)

12. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Ok, the Windows 7 install went smoothly and seems to work fine in Boot Camp. I'm attempting to get Parallels to work with Wn 7, and it's stuck on the screen I've attached below.

Is there a way round this? So far it's just sitting at this screen for 20+ minutes.

Attached Files:

13. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

14. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Well...everything except the taskbar/start menu. Ahh how I hate Windows.

Come on Inuit, get your ***** together for OS X.