Windows 7 Parallels Best version for MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacAndrew92, May 24, 2011.

1. MacAndrew92 macrumors newbie

Hello, I bought Parallels Desktop 6, and I wanna know wich version of Windows should I install on this Machine:
    Black MacBook3,1
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2,00 GHz
    4 GB of RAM (Upgraded)
    250 GB Hard Drive
    Intel GMA X3100

Wich version of you windows do you recomend and why?
    I have a Windows XP Home Edition CD and the CD key, its from a dead machine I can use that licence.

I will only be using Windows to run basic software like Microsoft AutoRoute 2010, Excel 2007 and Artisteer.

Thank you

MacAndrew92

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well what do you mean "which version?" But I have a black macbook as well with a 2.2ghz/4gb ram setup so I guess I can chime in.

I'm also running Parallels 6 and on it I have Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Chrome OS.

Now from experience, they all run pretty darn fast and I have no problem doing the average, run of the mill things I would do on a computer; anything under HD video playback is flawless (I can play HD as well depending on the codec and what's going on in the background).

If you're talking about speed, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, and XP are all faster than 7, however they "all" run at a great speed regardless.

One good things about Parallels is that it takes up relatively small amounts of space. When setting it up, go into the settings (where you configure the specs of the virtual machine) and in the section for the HDD, set it at 15 gb expanding disk. This means that the machine will see 15 gigs but if you ever fill that up the computer will create more and the space will go up. You can even change it when the machine is down so you don't have to worry about that. BUT; it doesn't actually take that chunk out of your hard drive space, just makes it "visible".

I have all 4 OSs loaded up and they collectively take up around 20 gigs total, probably less. The OS takes some space to load but once you do that, it's relatively small depending on what you download to the virtual OS's harddrive.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I can run them all and report back with speeds or something if you like :)

3. MacAndrew92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ;) I think I might buy Windows 7 Home Basic, I don't think XP will be supported in the future so I think I will go with Windows 7

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's great; IMO if you have a somewhat powerful computer (2.2, 4GB) you can run Windows and all of its applications with little to no lag whatsoever. I'm (again) running an old blackbook and I have no problem at all switching between 7, XP, Ubuntu, and Chrome OS to get whatever I want done WHILE doing things in OS X as well.

There is also a great feature that lets you use the same partition from your parallels with bootcamp if you ever want to do that. I don't really have a need for it currently but it's always good to have.

PS: Before I forget, when you configure the virtual machine (make sure you untick the box that says "automatically configure") and you choose the RAM that the machine has, it isn't taking the ram away from your actual computer.. I don't think? I could be wrong here and I'll check later on today, but I always set it to 2 gigs (my computer has 4).

I'll test later today when I get out of this award ceremony and see what I find, however you can (and this is the beauty) always change the specs of the virtual machine. From the HDD space (which is completely dependent on what you put in to maximize efficiency) to the RAM to the CD drive to audio drivers. It really is a great program.

If you have any more questions or want me to try something, feel free to ask :)

5. MacAndrew92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ;) I have 4 GB how much RAM should I give to Windows?

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I always allocate 2 gigs; keeps everything fast on the virtual while keeping my main OS clean if I need to do something on that as well.

7. MacAndrew92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know how much RAM can this MacBook take?

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

MacBook3,1 should work with up to 6GB RAM (unofficially).

Apple only supports up to 4GB.

9. MacAndrew92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your awnsers :) really helped me