Windows 7 Partition no longer working after windows update. Black Screen and Cursor

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kairumitserugi, May 12, 2011.

1. kairumitserugi macrumors newbie

I've seen a number of posts about the "black screen of death," but none of them seem to address my particular situation.

I've been using W7 for almost a year now on my Macbook with no problems whatsoever. A windows update restarted my computer automatically (hate that feature) yesterday, and now I can't access the windows partition.

On bootup, I can hold down the option key and then click on the windows partition. From there, the screen goes black and then a blinking cursor appears. It doesn't ever go away. The keyboard doesn't function.

I was wondering if there was a way to fix the problem from the Mac side, without deleting the windows partition. Some way to restore the Windows partition to its functional state that it had just two days ago?

2. Quad5Ny, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I'm guessing you cant get into Safe Mode by holding F8?

3. sandman3488 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same issue with kairumitserugi, I did try to reinstall my windows and the whole process works fine but when I reboot its just blank screen with blinking cursor.. Anyone familiar with this? any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Its probably a problem with the boot record on the Windows partitions.

Since you want to reinstall anyway, follow the instructions Here to restore your HD to a single partition. After that, go through the Boot Camp Assistant again and reinstall Windows.

5. sandman3488 macrumors newbie

Thanks Quad5Ny! Appreciate the reply. Will try to reset my partition once the whole exam week is over, bleh. Will update once I tried it. Cheers!

6. drjasonharrison macrumors newbie

Try Disk Utility to repair the bootcamp disk first.

7. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

On an ntfs partition? Disk Utility doesn't even support it. You can try with the install dvd the automated repair.