Windows 7 Partition Not Genuine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Garrett998, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Garrett998 macrumors member

As a windows noob, I am not quite sure what to do about my copy of Windows 7 not being "genuine." I've seen a couple youtube videos that recommend downloading some 3rd party program, but I am skeptical. Help!

On an slightly-related note, how do I update my graphic drivers in my windows partition (do I need to do so in OSX as well?) I have a AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB VRAM. Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Have you tried purchasing a copy of windows 7? You will get a product key that makes it genuine.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I was going with.

I will also remind the OP that any discussion of piracy is not permitted here at MacRumors

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yeah, the only place I have ever heard of "genuine" was with windows checking to make sure it's a legal copy.

There is a possibility he has a legal copy and didn't put the product key in, or register his copy.

6. Garrett998 thread starter macrumors member

My copy is legal. Apparently, this is a somewhat common problem.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably best to call Microsoft for support then, if it is common, they should have a work around.

8. Garrett998 thread starter macrumors member

Any advice for how to update drivers? I know you need to in Windows, not sure if it is necessary in OSX. Sorry I am so clueless!

9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You said partition, so I am assuming you are bootcamping into windows.

Did you "activate windows"? If not, click on the Start menu and type in "activate windows".

Then you should see the option for "activate now".

10. thasan macrumors 6502a

i had the same problem about a year ago. the key was genuine but windows said its not. if i remember correctly, it had something to do with the network card id which parallels set up. i manually set it up to match the original ones and had to get a new key to make it work.

11. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

This. If the copy is not validating as genuine call Microsoft to resolve the issue. In the worst case scenarios they can provide a new key. You'll generally be talking to India and it can be a bit frustrating, but they get the job done.