Windows 7 Partition via Boot Camp Frequently Drops Internet Connection - Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BronzeMistral, Apr 4, 2010.

1. BronzeMistral macrumors newbie

Hello there everyone,

After a long and abusive relationship with HP notebooks, I made the switch to a MacBook. I'm brand new to owning a Mac, and so far, I love it! As an avid PC gamer, this was a tough leap for me to make.

To allow for gaming, I partitioned my MacBook via Boot Camp and installed Windows 7. I play a MMORPG called "Earth Eternal," a free browser-based game. The game typically runs beautifully on my MacBook. This came to a screeching halt yesterday (3 April 2010) when my internet connection started to drop frequently. I will be online with the connection dropping every 2-3 minutes, which makes MMORPGing absolutely impossible. When I log onto the game, I will last 1-2 minutes TOPS (typically I'm booted as soon as I log onto the server as my character).

My internet connection works fine on my Mac OSX (Snow Leopard 10.6, all Apple updates up-to-date), so I'm not quite sure what is going on. I've tried everything - I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, I uninstalled the most recent Firefox update and reinstalled 3.5.8 (the new one has been crashy for many users, so I thought that might help), I tried all the Earth Eternal tricks to deal with unstable server connections...nothing has worked so far.

Any gamers out there experiencing similar problems? Why is my server connection so unstable on the Windows 7 partition? I have a feeling some drivers might need to be reinstalled, but I don't know where to start. Graphics card driver? Network adapter driver? Motherboard? I'm not computer-savvy enough do determine which drivers (if any) might be the problem.

Here are my system specs - if there's any other information that'll help in troubleshooting, I'll post it up here:

MacBook with Snow Leopard 10.6
    - 2.26GHz Intel Core Duo processor
    - 2GB RAM (although only 1GB is used on the Windows 7)
    - 250GB 5400rpm HDD (40-50GB dedicated to Partition for Windows)
    - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card
    - Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter Driver

Internet Connection things
    - CLEAR wireless motorola WiMAX Wave 2 Modem (typically 5/5 lights on, indicating full strength)
    - Linksys wireless g-broadband 2.4GHz Router, 54 mbps

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated, thanks a lot!

(SIDE NOTE: Now, this might be coincidental, but my modem has been losing its signal/communication with my local internet towers frequently this weekend, but ONLY when I attempt to log onto Earth Eternal. It behaves itself very well otherwise. However, most of the time my modem has full strength, but I get booted from the game server anyways. Could this be a combination of a bad modem, and some other wonky problem with Windows 7 on a MacBook?)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can't you play the game on OS X?

Is Windows up to date? Have you installed the Bootcamp drivers from Snow Leopard disk?

3. BronzeMistral thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Hellhammer,

Thanks for the reply! Currently, the game cannot be played on thr Mac OS X. I've installed all the drivers, and Windows is up to date.

I think this is either a modem or a game server issue - I was able to connect perfectly last night, and the only time I crashed coincided with my modem losing its signal. I'm thinking I'll need to contact my internet supplier.

4. Nevering macrumors newbie

Happens all the time for

me. 2010 mac pro desktop. update OS and Windows 7. At lest once a night it happens