Windows 7 PC does not see Lion Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by rnovek, Dec 21, 2011.

1. rnovek macrumors newbie

I have a small home network with several Macs and 2 Win 7 PCs. I've got Lion Server on a new Mac Mini and configured so that all the macs (including my Appple TV can see it, browse it etc. My 2 Win 7 Machines cannot see it at all. No matter what I've tried I cannot log in to Lion Server from the Win 7 PC. Strangely enough my WHS is easily seen by both Macs and PC's. My plan is to move from a WHS server to a Lion Server for the Home network. Any suggestions? I've tried almost everything in the posts such as capitalizing the server names, etc. Thanks all!:)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Make sure you have SMB enabled. If you are going to be using this you will need to setup a workgroup with users if it is password protected.

4. rnovek thread starter macrumors newbie

SMB is enabled, file sharing is enabled. Everything that should be enabled is(I think) enabled.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

My Win7 never sees anything, but it can connect to my Mini running Lion Server.
    Just select Computer > Map Network Drive then add the path including share point.
    \\192.168.1.107\ServerShare

I also make the IP static with the rest DHCP. Works perfectly. Then I can set my router to forward services from the internet quite easily and never have to change any settings.

6. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Are you using guest accounts or Open Directory/Active Directory?

7. rnovek thread starter macrumors newbie

This could be the problem. Open Directory is running but I'm not sure how to distinguish between OD and local guest accounts.

8. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Easiest way is to do the following:

1.) Bind the machine to OD
    2.) Check the UID. This will tell you what "group" the user is in

Another thing you could do is just use OD authentication for everything and have mobile home accounts in use giving you the best of both worlds.