Windows 7 PC's doesn't show up in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pseudic, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Pseudic macrumors newbie

I know there are probably a lot of threads about this already but the ones I have read haven't helped me with my problem yet.

The problem I am facing is that my Windows 7 PC's doesn't show up automatically in Finder.

What works:

1. I can see all of the computers (Mac and Windows) on the network on my Windows machines, if I look under Network in Windows.

2. I can see my Mac computers in Finder under Shared

3. I can CMD+K connect to all of the computers on the network using SMB, both with entering the name of the computer or the IP

4. I can ping all of the IP's on the network

What doesn't work:

1. Windows 7 machines doesn't show up automatically in Finder

2. I can't ping hostnames in Network Utility, can only ping IP's - it says cannot resolve hostname

What I have tried:

1. Turned on SMB sharing on OSX

2. Edited /private/etc/hosts to include Windows PC's

3. Turned off all firewalls on Windows, OSX and Router

4. Installed Bonjour on Windows machines

5. A bunch of other things...

Theories:

1. The best theory I can come up with is that OSX is having trouble with NETBIOS and that's why the Windows computers aren't showing up in OSX but I can still see the OSX computers in Windows 7. And the reason why I can see the other Macs in OSX is that they use something other than NETBIOS to broadcast their existence on the network.

2. The Gods are against me...

It should be said that I had it work for a very short while, but then i changed something and couldn't reverse it.

I hope someone can help me find the little thing I am missing to get this thing to work.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Check the Workgroup (System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> WINS), and make sure you have the exact same thing entered there as on the Windows machines. I've seen that many times be the issue for similar problems. You need to make sure it's entered with proper caps, too. It's probably blank right now, unless you have already set it.

jW

3. harisdozz macrumors newbie

I'm also having the similar problem. I can see a few PC's on Network. But can't see the rest.