Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM with BootCamp/Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by seldanne, Dec 30, 2011.

1. seldanne macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I've tried searching to find the answer, but haven't really come up with it... is it possible to install Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM via BootCamp and as well install and use Windows via Parallels or Fusion and the BootCamp partition? Or will I run into activation issues? Right now it looks like the system I'm preparing for someone will only need to use Windows via BootCamp, but just in case Parallels or similar is needed down the road I thought I should check...

Thanks!

Edit: I guess I should explain, it's my understanding that you can install Windows via BootCamp then install and set-up Parallels to use the BootCamp partition? is this a new feature in Parallels 7? I've been reading a lot of issues with BootCamp and Parallels wanting to both activate Windows, or is this on a previous version of Parallels?

2. seldanne thread starter macrumors newbie

No one's done this? Can it be done... I'm doing it for someone... Can I call Windows to activate in Parallels if they choose to use Parallels? Right now it probably will be just in Boot Camp...

3. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

if you are doing this for someone I would use Windows in a virtual container (parallels pvm). This allows you to activate it once, and then copy it to the target machine.

This also allows you to make a backup of the "good, day-0" version before they get their hands on it, allowing you to revert back to it at any point down the road.

bootcamp partitions, while giving the advantage of allowing you to address all your memory and have no CPU sharing, can be a real bitch to work with.

If it isn't for gaming or high end computing reasons, I wouldn't use bootcamp.

4. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Yeah this will work just fine. I am using parallels 7 with 80 gb bootcamp partition ( win 7 64 bit pro oem ) on my 2011 macbook air with 256 gb ssd.

Do the bootcamp install completely first and activate everything. Make sure you have antivirus software installed and all the windows updates in place including the bootcamp windows drivers installed.

Parallels 7 will also install some software into the bootcamp partition.

You will have to re-activate under parallels but the same license keys will work for win 7 and office. If you change your vm configuration ( how much memory is allocated etc or how many cores it can use ) you will have to re-activate again under parallels so try to figure out correct setup.

The bootcamp standalone machine will keep it's original activation so you can then run win 7 native or under parallels.

Make sure the win 7 vm under parallels is shutdown cleanly/completely before rebooting into native bootcamp each time.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have this setup with VMWare Fusion on my MBP.

Works very well, but there are occasional hiccups. Twice now I've had activation go a bit wonky on both Boot Camp and Parallels when VMWare Tools was being updated. Nothing that can't be fixed with a call to Microsoft though.

Both Parallels and VMWare have several guides as to how to install this so just make sure you follow them to the letter as the support software (like VMWare Tools) is critical to making it all work.

B

6. scottdf macrumors newbie

I tried to load a 64-bit version of Window 7 on older 2007 my iMac 24" and have run into the issue where it wants me to select a CD Rom type: (either 1 or 2) and I have no way to do this as my keyboard and mouse do not function at that point (not to mention I don't know which I would need to select...).

Any thoughts or suggestions? I hate to think I bought the wrong version and am out of luck, but maybe that is the case. Supposedly 64-bit can run on all Intel based macs which is why I got the 64-bit to begin with (since I want Windows to see all of my whopping 4 GB of ram to play SWTOR).

Thanks,
    Scott

7. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

if I will use same setup,
    which format shall I choose for the windows partition to transfer files from mac and back to Windows
    NTFS or the new FAT, xFAT I think its called.

I think NTFS does not swap file back and forth with mac , am I correct?