Windows 7 pro FINAL and Boot Camp - Windows Installer wont start

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bliks, Oct 8, 2009.

1. bliks macrumors member

Hello!

I got the 64bit version of windows 7 from my the Microsoft Acedmic Alliance program. I downloaded it on my parents windows machine burned the .iso with nero and I went throught the boot camp assistant it asked me to put in the disk. the computer rebooted and then it was a black screen. The

The disk is a bootable disk because I used the same disk to install it on my parents windows laptop.

How do I get the disk to boot on my mac?

Thanks,

Cory

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Try booting holding the Alt key down till you see the Mac and Windows hard drives appear. Soon after you should hear your DVD spin up and if it recognises the disk as bootable it will appear within a minute. You can right cursor over and hit enter to boot. If it doesn't see it it will spit the disk out after a few minutes.

The superdrives I've found are fussy with bootable media, they don't like cheap disks or burnt at too high a speed and even worse with dual layer.

3. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

i'm having basically the same problem. It seems to recognize the disk as bootable but even after make sure it's selected w/ holding the opt key while booting, it just goes to a black screen with a blinking line cursor at the top left. The drive spins at first and then after about 30 sec it stops, leaving the blank screen.

Would it be a good idea to try making a copy of the disc and see if that works or will I be wasting my time? I don't have any particularly high quality DVD-Rs

4. bliks thread starter macrumors member

I did try holding ALT. The disks show up they come up as Windows and EFI Bootable or something similar.

I tried both and they both led to the same black screen.

5. ymarker macrumors member

check the hash (sha1) from your iso to the msdn site to make sure your copy is good

6. stex1 macrumors newbie

Getting Similar Issues

Hi There
    I have just used bootcamp created the partition and inserted my New Windows 7 Disc
    It reboots but then says "...insert bootable disc..."
    The Disc is bootable
    would love any help on this.

is there a way around it without using the bootcamp utility or is holding the alt key the only way

Thanks

7. bmart95 macrumors newbie

Maybe A Fix

Hey I had this issue for a while now but recently found a solution. After burning the disk many times with just about every burning software out there, I found that the Mac won't boot correctly from any disk that is not burned in Disk Utility. So what you do is copy the .iso file to the Mac hard drive and mount it (by double clicking on the image), fire up Disk Utility (located in Applications-Utilities) click on the disk image in the sidebar and hit the burn button at thr top of the application window. After it completes the burn proceed with the Bootcamp Assistant and install Windows! Hope it helps.
    -bmart95