Windows 7 Problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macandipodfan, Feb 10, 2010.

1. macandipodfan macrumors member

A few months ago, I bought Windows 7 to install on my Macbook (early '08 2.1GHZ). I installed all the drivers and it worked great.

Since then, I have upgraded to a newer Macbook (Fall '08 Aluminum 2GHZ). I took the hard drive out of my old Macbook and put it in the new one.
    Mac OS X boots up fine, but when I try to boot Windows 7, it flashes the BSOD then restarts.

I'm guessing it's some sort of a driver issue, but I'm not quite sure how to go about fixing it.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Reinstall Windows. You will have to reactivate which may require a call to MS. There is a specific Windows on the Mac forum here. You should probably report your thread to a mod to have it moved there for better exposure.

3. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

Crap, do I really have to reinstall?

Anyway, I've reported it so it'll get moved.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you're lucky a repair (initiated from the Windows install disc) will do it.

Otherwise, I was reading some articles about P2V migrations (physical to virtual) and it looked like there were some strategies to "genericise" the drivers before doing that.

B

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

You might consider reinstalling into a virtual machine instead. Much more portable. There's a negligible hit in speed in most non-gaming usage, more than offset IMHO with the loveliness of being able to hot-key between your OS X and Win7 environments. I do this all the time in my late '06 original-issue MacBook Pro, with its feeble 2GB maximum RAM and Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) processor. Runs like a hose.

6. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

I already tried a repair from the disc - didn't work.

My main use for Windows is gaming, so I can't use a VM.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Then reinstall away!

Next time figure out the prep you need to do, image the drive, genericise drivers, etc... to make it go smoother.

B

8. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

You moved a hard drive from one computer to another. You absolutely should reformat. You should reformat the whole drive and reinstall both OS X and Windows. It'll take you a few hours to reformat/reinstall everything and set up any settings vs. trail and error with drivers, fixing minor random bugs, troubleshooting, etc. Never take the lazy way out, always do a reformat. You'll thank yourself in the long run. Doing this will actually save you more time, believe it or not.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sometimes pressing F8 during the bootup and booting Windows into Safe Mode allows you to reinstall drivers. I would think your installation is too fubared to allow even this, however.