Windows 7 Processor downscaling.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jamie232, Jan 30, 2010.

1. jamie232 macrumors newbie

I have noticed I do have a bit of a problem when running Windows 7 on my late 2009 13" MacbookPro.

I find that my processor is almost constantly scaled down. It should be a 266 FSB, 8.5 Mulitplier to give me 2.26 GHz with a voltage of something around 1.1V.

However, even under strain and 100% usage, It scales it down to 266 FSB 6.0 Mulitplier, and 1.0 Voltage to give me a max speed of 1.59 GHz. I find this very annoying as now I can't use the speed and horsepower of the laptop that I otherwise would be able to!

Has anyone else seen this and could recommend a solution for it? I would appreciate it since I'd love to get my speed back.

Thanks.

2. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I feel a bit stupid asking this question but how did you figure out it was being downscaled? i have the same setup as you so i'm wondering if i have the same problem.

Thanks

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

So it doesn't just happen on the MacBook Airs...

Basically what happens is that if your temperature is above 70-75 deg C, the processor will downclock to a 1.0Volt @ 6.0 Multiplier to prevent overheating.

It's actually a very common sight on the MacBook Airs, I'm surprised it's happening on the 13" MacBook Pros also.

^ To the poster above me: use a tool called "CPU-Z". Search Google.

4. MrPeanut macrumors regular

Thought it might have been that, i'll install it after 3ds max has installed.

BTW, ayeying how did youoverclock your air? and is it worth it?

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The overclock is really just to up the limitator for the intel downclock. From here, I get a speed of 1.95GHz vs 1.6GHz, which does help in some applications such as games and vmware workstation. However, the downside is that, under extreme stress, the program will become somewhat unstable (say like running 4 vms at once), but beyond that, no temperature rises or anything else. Normal gaming/vmware doesn't crash or corrupt so I leave it there whenever I need power.

I used nTune (nVidia System Tools) to overclock since we're using nVidia motherboards here

6. MrPeanut macrumors regular

Just a thought but have you selected high performance in the power options in windows 7?

7. jamie232 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have selected High Performance setting.

ayeying, How did you up the Intel Downclock? Where in the nVidia System Tools did you configure that?

Thanks.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Its in the performance section. You can't really miss it.

9. jamie232 thread starter macrumors newbie

What exactly did you do? Did you increase the FSB? There is no option to lock the multipier at 8.5 or at a voltage of 1.138V. Did you make a new "Device Rule" or Profile?

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Just increase the FSB. I have mine set at 325MHz, default is 266MHz. However, it'll vary from computer to computer, regardless of the same specs.

Here's my post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=816070

11. jamie232 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for reply and help.

But is there a way to stop the downcycling that the CPU does and keep it at the full speed? In OSX I am pretty sure that it doesn't happen but the windows limits the speed.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It happens in both in OSX and Windows. However, in OSX it's actually less dramatic. It'll only downclock maybe 1 to 2 multiplier but resume back to full speed more quickly then in Windows.

However, the thing is, it shouldn't happen on systems outside of the MacBook Air since the cooling system is vastly superior to the Air's cooling system.