Windows 7 Professional $29.99 (Upgrade) w/ .edu

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eddyisgreat, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

link ---> https://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

I felt this was appropriate as alot of you are angry that M$ & Steve J. worked together to make sure that you couldn't use Windoze XP with your shiny new 2011 Macbook Pro. With this and Windows XP mode, you'll almost be good to go (except of course for gaming, if you absolutely need Win XP for that).

Also make sure your uni bookstore doesn't offer some sort of discount already. Perhaps your department (oft CSE or other Engineering Depts) offer you access to MSDNAA in which most of this stuff will be free anyway.

You can also use some well guided google searches to bring up some interesting results regarding certian restrictions when installing an upgrade copy of Win 7, but that's all i'm going to say about that ;) :D :).

Enjoy

(Taken from SlickDeals)

2. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I bought for this same discount....using parallels with a MBA....awesome deal....FYI...since WIN 7 is a pain in the ass to install, install it without a product key and then reinstall as an upgrade and then put in the product key and work just fine....

3. tcador macrumors regular

4. darkeartg macrumors regular

I used the exact same thing, it is such a good deal. If anybody have problems installing this pm me

5. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Hey man, I did have a quick question if maybe you could help? I have a 32 bit version of w7 installed, and am considering buying the 64 bit download. How would I install this though? Could I just do an upgrade install?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Unfortunately there is no upgrade path from 32 to 64; you need to reinstall from scratch.

7. darkeartg macrumors regular

check your box =)

8. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

9. AlexQQQ macrumors member

does this mean that all i need to do is pay $29 dollars and I can install windows 7 on my macbook pro.

or must I already have a previous version of windows (XP or even windows 7 home edition) to UPGRADE to windows 7 professional to take advantage of this deal? And How would I install without a CD having no OS?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

10. ramw5p macrumors member

ditto to question above

I dont have windows on my 11' mbp. can i just spend the $30 and get windows 7??? i always assumed i had to have an installed version of windows first! Anyy help here apreciated, not real computer savy..thus a mac :)

11. Eddyisgreat thread starter macrumors 601

Yes this can be used for a full install however take what I say with a grain of salt since it may not work for your (but it has for me and many others).

And since your on a mac already, the .exe that has the download won't work for you hence use the following links for direct isos from M$s servers (again, jacked from SL):

This link wil also help you use the this version on your machine, just follow the instructions:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html