Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tow3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Hi.

I have successfully gone through the Boot Camp Assistant, created a 32gb partition and installed my new copy of Windows 7.

After the usual couple of reboots Windows runs fine but the problem is the amount of space Windows C: drive is showing me as available to use. Like I said, this partition is 32gb and the red bar is almost full! It says I have only 2.33gb remaining!!

It took me 2 attempts to get windows installed and working properly (i'm a first time mac user and have no experience using bootcamp)... so upon failing the first time I rebooted into Lion, opened Boot Camp Assistant and removed Windows before my second attempt, maybe this has damaged the disk?

My spec if it's of any use...
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3
27-inch - 3.4 GHz i7
16gb DDR3 - Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

Thanks for any advice or solutions, I'm a :apple: noob in need of help.

Craig

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Hi.

I have successfully gone through the Boot Camp Assistant, created a 32gb partition and installed my new copy of Windows 7.

After the usual couple of reboots Windows runs fine but the problem is the amount of space Windows C: drive is showing me as available to use. Like I said, this partition is 32gb and the red bar is almost full! It says I have only 2.33gb remaining!!

It took me 2 attempts to get windows installed and working properly (i'm a first time mac user and have no experience using bootcamp)... so upon failing the first time I rebooted into Lion, opened Boot Camp Assistant and removed Windows before my second attempt, maybe this has damaged the disk?

My spec if it's of any use...
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3
27-inch - 3.4 GHz i7
16gb DDR3 - Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

Thanks for any advice or solutions, I'm a :apple: noob in need of help.

Craig

You can try verifying the disk in Disk Utility, but I doubt that's going to help your windows partition. Did you install any software on the Windows side? Like Office, or Adobe Creative Suite?

Tow3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
You can try verifying the disk in Disk Utility, but I doubt that's going to help your windows partition. Did you install any software on the Windows side? Like Office, or Adobe Creative Suite?

Nope, nothing at all.

I've been doing a little reading and apparently Windows 7 Professional with SP1 is around 32 to 35 gig! This would explain my issue.

I have since gone back through Boot Camp Assistant, re-partitioned... this time 150gb and re-installed Win7. This is way more space than I would ideally like to give up for Windows as it is purely for gaming.

I wish the gaming industry would start taking Mac users seriously! I wonder if it is just the amount of Mac users versus Windows users that stops them coding games for Mac OS X?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Nope, nothing at all.

I've been doing a little reading and apparently Windows 7 Professional with SP1 is around 32 to 35 gig! This would explain my issue.

I have since gone back through Boot Camp Assistant, re-partitioned... this time 150gb and re-installed Win7. This is way more space than I would ideally like to give up for Windows as it is purely for gaming.

I wish the gaming industry would start taking Mac users seriously! I wonder if it is just the amount of Mac users versus Windows users that stops them coding games for Mac OS X?

HOw much ram do you have. Windows 7 allocates the same amount of disk space as your ram to your hibernate file and then by default also allocates the same amount for a page file. If you have 8gb of ram thats 16gb right there and if you have 16 thats already 32 although the page file might be smaller in that case the hibernate file will not be.

Saw your first post. Your 16gb of ram is whats killing your drive space. You can reduce the size of the page file but the hibernate file is either on or off, no in between.

Tow3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
HOw much ram do you have. Windows 7 allocates the same amount of disk space as your ram to your hibernate file and then by default also allocates the same amount for a page file. If you have 8gb of ram thats 16gb right there and if you have 16 thats already 32 although the page file might be smaller in that case the hibernate file will not be.

Saw your first post. Your 16gb of ram is whats killing your drive space. You can reduce the size of the page file but the hibernate file is either on or off, no in between.

Awesome advice, thank you so much.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Nope, nothing at all.

Its a mixture of factors:

1. Windows gets newer graphics cards first. This is one of the tradeoffs between Windows and OSX. OSX uses cards proven stable with the OS, where as Windows, you can use any card, but sometimes they will cause issues (especially brand new to the market ones that haven't had the bugs worked out).

The PC gamer crowd wants the newest and greatest graphics cards so developer push to utilize the features.

2. DirectX. I personally hate DirectX and think its very messy to program in (seriously take a look at some DirectX code, horrible). That being said it is attractive to some development studios because of it being an "all in one" package that handles sound, input, graphics, etc where as OpenGL is just a graphics library.

That being said most all graphics software (Maya, Houdini, Mari, Blender, etc) use OpenGL, but for games, some use DirectX, and some use OpenGL + extra libraries.

3. User base. Games are VERY expensive and time consuming to make so most companies will target the platform with the highest user base. If a game is created using OpenGL then it has the possibility of being put on the Mac, if its DirectX its Windows only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.