Windows 7 Professional Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pgharavi, May 23, 2010.

1. pgharavi macrumors regular

pgharavi

So I have a friend who needs to run Windows on her Mac, via Bootcamp. She's a student, so she qualifies for that nice Win7 Professional $65 "ultimate steal."

I'm guessing that simply buying the upgrade version and doing a fresh install via Bootcamp will not work, correct? If that's the case, I believe she has some version of Vista DVD from a Sony laptop she had prior. Will physically having that disc help the install cause? Will she need to install Vista first, and then install the Win7 Upgrade?

Basically I'm looking to make this as easy and painless as possible for her. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. greemie macrumors member

I don't think it's possible to load vista from a Sony on to the Mac To begin with? Back in the old days, it was possible to point the windows upgrade install back to the original cd, and that would fool it into thinking that windows was already installed on the system. I am not sure if this works anymore.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The easy and painless approach is the old double install trick (Method #3 from the provided link). Don't have her try the registry hack unless you or someone else who knows what they are doing is present.

B

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Agree 100%, in fact I should have mentioned this when I posted the link.