Windows 7 RC + 2009 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by klas, May 7, 2009.

1. klas macrumors newbie

Anyone tried it using boot camp? I am only concerned if I will be able to get all the drivers.

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I don't have a mini but the chances are all your drivers that are on your OSX install disk will will work through Bootcamp. Though I'd recommend using 32 bit version as those are the drivers which will be on your install disks.

3. pynnonen macrumors newbie

Mac-Mini Windows 7 32bit RC 1 (build 7100) install

I have an upgraded mac-mini with 4GB of RAM, 320GB WD drive, an Apple wireless keyboard and a logitech wireless mouse, with a Samsung SyncMaster T240 LCD monitor, that I have installed Windows 7 32bit RC 1, build 7100 successfully, but it took a little work to do it.

Run Bootcamp Assistant, I created a 32GB partition.
    Insert Windows 7 install disc.
    Boot and run Windows installation.
    Most everything worked after install.

Worked:
    Logitech wireless mouse
    Apple wireless keyboard
    hard drive, superdrive, etc.

Did not work:
    Sound! (No drivers)
    IR Receiver

So I followed instructions to insert the OSX install disc and run the Windows Bootcamp install (Bootcamp Control Panel (for setting default OS boot) and install drivers. DON'T. For me, the older drivers killed the wireless keyboard and mouse.

It also warns you that Apple Boot Camp has known compatibility issues, stating that one or more drivers has known incompatibilites with Windows 7.

I had to do a re-install (removed the windows partition running Mac Bootcamp Assistant, and re-install windows). Windows 7 is much newer than Apple BootCamp, and the older Apple drivers do not work well with Windows 7 RC.

The SigmaTel sound driver DOES work.
    To install it,
    Navigate on the OSX Leopard Install disc to:
    D:\Boot Camp\Drivers\IDT SigmaTel
    and run SigmaTelSetup.exe
    It loaded the sound drivers and works well.

I do not have the IR receiver working. Any tips from others??

I have 19GB free of the 32GB, after loading iTunes, Safari, Firefox, Adobe Reader, etc. So a 32GB partition size works well.

I wish Apple would release a new BootCamp that works with Windows 7.

I wrote this on the Mac-Mini running Windows 7 using Windows Internet Explorer 8.

I am able to access Windows Homegroup, a HP LaserJet 1200 attached to a Windows PC, and a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn on the network wirelessly.

The basic install process takes about an hour.

4. pynnonen macrumors newbie

Mac-Mini Windows 7 32bit RC 1 (build 7100) install

I have 2 problems found in Device Manager.
    A USB Input Device. (I believe this is the IR Remote)
    Performance Counters (Whats that???)

None affect the operation of the system.
    I used on the OSX side Preferences, Startup Disk to set the default OS.
    You can hold down the "alt/option" key while starting up the Mac-Mini to select the OS you want, Mac OSX, or Windows.

I am interested in other's experiences with installing Windows 7 on the Mac-Mini.
    I had to use a wired mouse and wired keyboard when I installed the original Window 7 Beta (build 7000).

The Windows 7 RC 1 (build 7100) installed using the wireless mouse (Logitech) and wireless Apple Keyboard went painlessly (except for the sound issue discussed previously).

5. jacobbuchardt76 macrumors newbie

Audio issues MacMini Windows 7 32 bit

Had also audio issues and read somewhere that the realtek drivers would do it, but thanks for this thread! I used the IDT drivers and it just works!!!!:)

6. JeanRuvalca macrumors newbie

Windows on the Mac

I have used series or OSX drivers that made things a bit fuzzy to me. Also there are a few problems in terms of the threads or the plug-ins. But, using other support devices, it made things a lot easier. It all depends on the solutions used.