Windows 7 RC x64 Drivers

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seer, May 4, 2009.

1. seer macrumors member

Hallo gang

Just installed Windows 7 64bit on my bootcamp partition and at first glance everything looks great.

I haven't used any of the boot camp drivers yet, though I did install ATI's latest Win7 drivers for the 4870.

The strange thing is the sound.... the card seems to be detected perfectly well in device manager and if I play music then I can see the graphic equalizer thing bouncing up and down as it should be in both the mixer and within media player.... but there is no sound from either the internal speaker nor the headphones if I plug them in. I am not a total dumbass so yes I checked volume levels for each application and for system, checked mute etc :)

Even though Vista drivers should work in Win7, I hate screwing up an OS with a bunch of drivers meant for older OS's... does anyone else's sound work out of the box with the RC of Win7?

2. kirreip macrumors regular

I just installed it myself and I have the same problem: no sound. Have you managed to get your keyboard working properly. I mean the buttons on the top to controll the sound level and the screen brightnes?
    The main problem is, that win 7 rc does not allow you to install any bootcamp drivers from the DVD.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

You need to install the drivers off the DVD and then download the boot camp update from Apple. Ignore all the incompatibility errors during the install. I found that the boot camp update wouldn't run until I had completely installed the boot camp software off the DVD.

4. kirreip macrumors regular

Do you have the 2009 Nehalem MacPro?

Because I believe that the drivers I have on the DVD allready are the newest one. As I said, Win 7 does not install the drivers at all off the DVD.

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I don't have a Nehalem Mac Pro but I guess you are correct that the drivers will be the latest. I couldn't find my install disks so I used the boot camp installer from my Leopard disk and downloaded the update.

6. kirreip macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I might try that as well as I have the leopard disk for my other macs.

7. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

Yes i can confirm what steveza said. i had the same funky sound issue. installed the drivers from the osx dvd and the sound started working fine. i believe it's a "real audio', 'realtek' or something like that driver that is installed.

8. XianPalin macrumors 6502

9. seer thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I started this thread and then forgot all about it because I of course solved the issue eventually. I manually installed all the drivers using their individual packages on the dvd.

But I still cannot get any version of bootcamp to run... I miss that little "boot into Mac OSX" option in my system tray :(

10. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Glad to hear you got yours working, I was following this thread until I got mine.

Just to add another experience to the mix here. I installed Windows 7 RC x64 Saturday, installed all the Boot Camp drivers from the install DVD and everything worked right away. I did update my video drivers with the latest from ATI (dated 5/5) but sound worked without trouble.

11. ekwipt macrumors 6502

12. seer thread starter macrumors member

That is strange. Are you saying the main installation program on the DVD works for you? No matter what I do I can't get it to run. The UAC prompt appears to permit the program to run, then nothing. No errors or windows popping up... the app either starts and crashes immediately (yet silently) or just doesn't start.

Thus I had to go rummaging through the directory structure and guess which driver packages I needed (pretty sure I installed a couple of uneccesary ones!).

Maybe I will try switching UAC off. But yeah I also installed the latest ATI drivers from ATI themselves. The standard apple drivers (though faster in 3dmark from what I can tell) are terrible in that they offer no control panel for FSAA settings etc.

13. Coolpowers macrumors newbie

I have 2.26 Nahelm Mac Pro, I installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7 RC a week ago, as many of You I had that sound issue, but then I had no problems while Installing the bootcamp drivers from the DVD, now everything works perfect. Before installing the Boot Camp Drivers, it was seeing my two GT120 as 9500, but then after the driver installation, it saw my cards perfectly as GT120 nit I still installed the Nvidia software for Windows 7 RC. It see my 16 GB ram without a problem.

May be if You reinstall the Windows it would solve the problem?

14. seer thread starter macrumors member

Seeing as it is a fresh install, I doubt it would help :)

But I did read something somewhere else today saying that the installer should be run in vista compatability mode.... so I will try that tonight as it makes some sense at least.

15. seer thread starter macrumors member

Nope same old crap. Start install, accept UAC, get message about known compatability issues, then an error about "unexpected failure, error code 2229"

16. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Yep, I popped in the DVD and I'm pretty sure it started on it's own. (Or maybe I had to browse the DVD and run setup.exe on my own, can't remember.) I didn't have any installation problems, clicked through the normal windows crap and let it do it's thing for like 10 minutes and everything worked afterwards.

17. seer thread starter macrumors member

Grrr whilst I am glad it works for you guys, it's very frustrating that I seem to be the *special* one :)

I have tried all kinds of things, there are at least 2 or 3 setup.exe's that could install bootcamp, the autorun one, the one under the bootcamp directory and another I forget where.

I have tried in ALL of the XP and Vista compatability modes, with and without UAC, etc etc. The only thing I think is a real shot in the dark is a regional thing. Though I am english I live in sweden. So I have english as the language of windows, but I use swedish regional settings (currency etc) and swedish keyboard. The reason I mention this is that when I get the error message about error code 2229, it is in swedish despite that not being the OS language. Its really the last throw of the dice but I will try setting everything to english tonight.... at least the error message might make more sense if I can get it to appear in english :)

Most annoying of all is the fact I don't really NEED it to work now as drivers etc are installed. But now I have my teeth in the problem and I refuse to let go :) (plus as mentioned before I like the reboot to Mac OSX option the bootcamp icon gives you!)

18. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Definitely keep us posted. If there is anything you want to me try with my Win7x64 install that might help I should have some time on Sunday.

19. Nadav35 macrumors member

64-bit Windows 7 RC on 2006-2007 Mac Pro?

Hello everyone,

So, I have a 2006-2007 2.66 Quad-Core Xeon Mac Pro. I am aware that there is a EFI32/64 limitation on this, however I have heard of some running 64-bit windows 7 on their 2006 mac pros. Can someone offer insight on how I can get 64-bit windows 7 to run on my mac pro?

I mean, 32-bit is plenty fast for me, but I'd sure like to see 64-bit also! Isn't the Mac Pro from 2006-2007 considered a 64-bit machine? Will Snow Leopard also run on it as a 64-bit OS?

20. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

edit: responding in Nadav35's own thread, kinda off topic for this one...