Windows 7 Screen Resolution with 24 ACD and new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Greenhoe, May 5, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Hi,
    I just installed Windows 7 RC1 on my new Mac Pro with the 4870 and the 24 ACD. When I originally installed windows 7 the resolution was set correctly but now about 70% of the time when I start my Mac Pro and run bootcamp windows 7 won't recognize my monitor and just says Generic Non-PNP Monitor and will only give me a resolution of 640-480.

I have to do a bunch of crap in the windows drivers updates to get this working correctly. At first I thought it was the 4870 drivers but I think its the ability that Windows 7 isn't recognizing the 24 ACD. When I do have it working at full resolution instead of saying Generic Non-PNP monitor it will say LED Monitor and give me all the different resolution settings.

Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? Also why when I fix it after restarting the computer its back to not recognizing the monitor?

2. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

That is strange, I take it you installed the bootcamp drivers that came with your mac pro, right?

When I put the beta on my aluminum macbook and connected to my LED cinema display it always picked it up correctly.

I'd test the RC and report back for you, but I ended up returning the monitor due to dead pixel issues.

Also, what drivers are you using for the HD4870?

It could be a driver issue with the HD4870 preventing it from detecting the monitor correctly and assuming that it isn't capable of higher resolutions.

3. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using the Drivers that were installed with the Mac Pro install disc. I also have tried having Windows 7 find it's Windows version of the driver itself and install it which hasn't changed anything either. Should I try installing the Vista version of the Windows driver of the card from ATI?

4. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I'd go get ATI's Catalyst 9.4 drivers.. they offer official windows 7 support.

If those don't work, I'll see if I can find you a link for the 9.3 drivers.

the catalyst drivers will give you a lot more control over the card, including adding supported resolutions and forcing it to detect displays whenever you open the catalyst control panel.

Here's a link to the 9.4s -

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?driver=VideoCard/win7-64-suite