Windows 7 + search

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by contitego, Jun 30, 2009.

1. contitego macrumors member

Windows 7 search works great for finding an application. If you search for: calc, explorer, or notepad, it finds it right away. I can find my documents pretty well too. The problem comes when I try to find images. I try to search for *.jpg, and a few images come up, not the ones I am looking for. Try searching for img20.jpg it's a Windows 7 background. The file is listed in here:

C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Characters

I was trying to copy the direcory, I had to manually type it in to access/find the images. A bit disappointing!

2. KevinN206 macrumors regular

The search didn't find it simply because that path is not indexed. Now, why it's not indexed by default is up for grab. You can manually add in that folder or any other folders by:

Hit: WinKey
    Type: index options

3. contitego thread starter macrumors member

I added the C:.
    Thanks.

C: was indexed. The users direcory was by default.

Was this in Vista?

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Why would it need to be indexed?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can't search it fast if it's not in the index. By default there isn't much indexed in Vista or Windows 7.

You can see Spotlight in action on a fresh install of OS X or on a Time Machine drive.

6. contitego thread starter macrumors member

Files are located in more than one location.

7. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I'm well aware of that. I'm just wondering why anyone would want that indexed to begin with since it's not exactly an area where you would want to retrieve files.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

System folders might not be indexed or you might not be able to search them by default even if they are.