Windows 7 sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rick98761, Mar 10, 2011.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I have two MacBook Pros and a Windows 7 desktop. I can see the Macs on the Windows 7 computer fine. In OS X I can see the win7 pc itunes home share just fine. I can connect to the shared drives by using ctrl-k in the finder and typing in the computer name. I can not get the Windows 7 computer to show up under shared in the finder unless I do the cmd-k and connect first.

The network is setup as follows.
    Time Capsule upstairs with a airport extreme downstairs that extends the network from the Time Capsule. The windows 7 computer is hard wired into the downstairs router.

The windows 7 computer is fairly new, and I hadn't had a Windows computer for a few years. In the past I remember Windows shares showing up under shared automatically like an OS X computer does. I made sure to enter the workgroup in the advanced network settings. Anyone have any tips to get this to work?

2. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, I know the login item method, but I would rather not use it. Do to errors popping up when I'm away from home, and it always launching the finder at login.