Windows 7 shows ALL FAT32 partitions as RAW

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by staticanime, May 14, 2010.

1. staticanime macrumors newbie

I installed Windows 7 on my friends unibody MacBook Pro, but it cannot read any FAT32 partitions. I've tried FAT32 drives on my own laptop, and they work fine, and they work in Mac OS X too, just not in Windows 7. I've updated to the latest boot camp 3.1, but still no luck, I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers for the external hdd's, and nothing. NTFS drives are fine. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

2. phenixdragon macrumors regular

I'm new to Macs myself but I am wondering, why are your friend using FAT32 instead of NTFS?

3. staticanime thread starter macrumors newbie

Uhh, maybe becuase FAT32 is the one filesystem readable and writeable no matter what OS you use? I know Windows 7 Bootcamp drivers include a IFS driver to access HFS partitions (which may be part of the problem), and I know OS X can read NTFS, and can be made write to NTFS, but that doesn't help when our college uses ancient G5 Mac Pros running 10.2 (Panther), so FAT32 was the logical choice. Plus, he uses the same drive for the PS3 and XBOX, both of which can read it fine, so, yeah.

Anyway, really need a fix for this. Just to note again, the drive works fine on my ASUS EEE PC 1201N with Windows 7, the PS3 and XBOX, and even in OS X, just not in Windows 7 on the Mac, and once again, this is happening to ALL FAT32 drives, from external HDD's to pen drives...

4. phenixdragon macrumors regular

Question. Why are you a prick? Man is the type of attitude that makes some people not want a Mac. I just asked a simple question. A simple none d!*kish answer would have be the way to go.

5. staticanime thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry bro, this problem is driving me up the walls, shouldn't be taking it out on you. Simple answer was that the drive has to be readable and writeable on Mac, Windows, XBOX and PS3