Windows 7 SP1 requirements

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vistadude, Jul 2, 2011.

1. vistadude macrumors 65816

I was wondering about installing the standalone installer of SP1 for windows 7. Based on the microsoft's site, it says that it takes up a whopping 4100 MB if you use the installer, and 750 MB if you use windows update.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/learn-how-to-install-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1

Is the large size for the installer because the download file plus unpacked files are left behind? Can you delete those files after installing SP1? I ask because I only have a few GB space remaining on my C: partition.

Thanks in advance.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

SP1 Installer is big because it includes roll up fixes - all of the fixes that came out since Windows 7 was released. If you have updated regularly and are now using Windows update to go to SP1 it is smart enough to check and download only updates that you are missing.

Any reason you don't want to do it using standard Windows update? To free up space on C: have you considered enabling file and folder compression and reducing shadow storage?

3. vistadude thread starter macrumors 65816

It doesn't show up under windows updates for me. Probably that means I gotta run windows updates multiple times since I havn't updated forever. I'm guessing that means it's going to take up several GB of space, but I won't know until it's too late.