Windows 7 stalls at start up.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pburke, Jul 13, 2010.

1. pburke macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been trying to install Windows 7 64 bit on my girlfriend's computer, it's a 13" MBP, 4 GB, 2.4 GHz (mid-2010, 4 weeks old).

I got through the installation without a hitch, got to the desktop, installed the Snow Leopard drivers, restarted... and then it froze after I typed in the password (the cursor circle froze, keyboard-trackpad unresponsive).

I cleared the Bootcamp partition in OSX, repartitioned, and reinstalled again - this time without a password. It got to the desktop, and then after a few seconds the keyboard and trackpad became unresponsive again. This happens only when I install the SL drivers, upon restart.

Now, I've tried reinstalling W7 a few times. I reformatted the whole disc, reinstalled SL... and still the same problem.

I'm using a Windows 7 ISO from my university, the same ISO/Disc that I used to successfully install Windows 7 on my MBP. I have since downloaded it twice, and burned the ISO three separate times, at 2.4x using Disc Utility.

I've seen two similar instances discussed on other threads, but they were either adjacent to the main thread discussion (and unresolved), or just unresolved.

In the installations that I've run since the initial few, I have run into issues that seem common (stalling when copying system files, etc.) I have since reformatted the whole disc, and those problems haven't arisen since.

Also, I have successfully installed Windows XP from a university ISO on her computer. But she really needs Windows 7 64 bit... sorry for the long post, trying to be detailed...

If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be really appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Patrick

PS: I updated SL before partitioning, and it's Bootcamp 3.1 (build 2328)

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

When you say Win7 stalls after typing in the password or after loading, how long do you or have you waited? Have you also tried booting up in safe mode?

After my first time installing and running Win7 (64 bit, ISO from MS), it would also seem like a stall when I typed in my password and hit enter. But it would start working again in about a minute. After poking around a bit I learned that the wifi was taking a while to connect, not sure why but it was. So when I disabled the wifi, no such issue.

Since then, I've reinstalled Win7 because I wanted a bigger partition and to wipe out lot of junk stuff, haven't had the same issue. (Using same install disc)

3. pburke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response Lyshen.

Windows stalls after a few seconds, the keyboard and trackpad are completely unresponsive. I've left it for various periods, the longest was about 30 minutes? But I'll try your suggestion, disable the wifi, and see what happens.

I recently tried Windows 7 32 bit, same problem but then I tried restarting it again with the disc still in the optical drive and it worked long enough for bootcamp/windows update. Since then it seems to be working fine... but she needs 64 bit, so I'm going to try again.

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Another suggestion, boot up in safe mode and disable all the unnecessary devices. Wifi, bluetooth, ethernet, etc.

5. pburke thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried booting up in Safe Mode, no luck. I'll post a solution if I come across something...

Thanks again,
    Patrick

6. svedekim macrumors member

I have exactly the same issue

I have exactly the same issue (mbp 13" 2010)

I installed boot camp + win 7hp 32bit a few days ago, worked just fine.

Today I installed a larger hard drive. Then OSX and then boot camp.

EVERY TIME i boot in windows it stalls completely, and I need to press and hold power button. I have reinstalled 8 times today with both 32 and 64bit.

After the login Windows seems to be installing some hardware that stalls the computer.

ANY advice is much appreciated.

EDIT*
    I think this thread is related:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=948395

Stating its due to a conflict with nvidia drivers. I will try installing with the driver directly from nvidia. HOPEFULLY It'll fix it.

7. svedekim macrumors member

8. svedekim macrumors member

still no luck

Here's what I've tried so far...

Installing win 7 + DL'ing latest boot camp and nvidia drivers. Didnt solve it

installing ALL OSx updates, then installing win 7 + latest boot camp. But it still freezes.

I'm going to try XPP.

I wonder why no more people are having these problems. :apple:

9. svedekim macrumors member

I thing I sorted whats wrong

Yesterday I installed bootcamp again, on an original 13" mbp 2010 disk. And it worked like it should.

So unfortunately it seems my ned HDD is the problem.

Has anyone tried installing win7 in bootcamp on a Seagate momentus XT (hybrid) harddisk?

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hdd

I have installed XP instead, which isnt optimal, their seems to be alot of drivers missing (yellow !!!'s in device manager)

I'm considering givin vista a swing.....

10. pburke thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

I tried Win7 32 bit, and it worked for a day... I got everything updated, bootcamp and Windows drivers... booted this evening, and the same problem.

However, the delay before stalling is longer. Long enough for me to open the 'driver software installation'. It's trying to install the 'IEEE 1394 Controller'... I think that's the firewire connection, but beyond that it's above my head. Have you/anyone gotten that far? Ideas? Thanks again, good luck with XP.

Patrick

11. svedekim macrumors member

My progress so far...

Win 7 FAIL. I believe it's entirely due to my seagate hybrid disk. But I cant know for sure. I tried with different versions of 7, and different media.

Win Xpp. Had issues with sound driver, problems installing sp3. So I didnt bother.

Win Vista Fingers crossed, knock on wood. So far it's working fine. ....

When I get some more time on my hands I'll try triple booting, and check whether it's the firewire driver causing trouble, It stopped working as soon as I installed my new disc.

12. zebualvi macrumors newbie

any one?? ive tried everything, reinstalled windows, reinstalled osx, formatted entire hdd.. nothing works. It did work once though when i installed windows, installed vmware and then ran bootcamp in vmware. It worked and then in my infinite wisdom i decided to reinstall windows to increase partition size.

13. NicktheNorse macrumors member

I'm having exactly the same problem as in the OP with my new 2010 MBP 13 trying to install Win7 x64. There is definitely something fishy with the Boot Camp drivers, the hanging problems only start after they've been installed.

Am now trying the 32bit version to see if it helps.

Edit: Nope, exactly the same problem with 32bit Win 7.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I found I had to reformat the partition NTFS to get 7 64bit (with the Windows 7 disk) to load and run. Maybe this will help for your situation, Good Luck.

15. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

honestly, sounds exactly like gfx card driver issues I've had with 64-bit ubuntu on an AMD XP 64 cpu I had a little while back.

The OS is booted and you cant tell the difference because the screen won't work past the bootload. In the case of ubuntu I was able to ssh and install the drivers manually through the command line.

16. NicktheNorse macrumors member

17. marykom macrumors newbie

I am using Windows XP SP2 and two days ago the computer stops at the loading screen (black screen says Windows XP and the blue load bar below). Does not freeze completely, but only kept loading and never reaches the windows, even after waiting 10 minutes. I tried F8 and use last known good configuration and that has not helped.

18. zebualvi macrumors newbie