Windows 7 startup in mute? Strange phenomenon?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dronex, Feb 20, 2010.

1. dronex macrumors member

Hello everyone!

I have installed Windows 7 on my Mac for a long time, but of course it's not the main OS. But recently as I startup my Mac into the Windows 7 side, it muted. That means when the welcome screen was shown, there were no sounds, until I have to wait until the desktop loads, then I had to press the sound button on my keyboard so that the sounds are back to normal. But sometimes, just before I un-mute the computer manually, I plug in a USB drive into the computer, somehow, the sounds automatically un-mute itself! It's so strange.

It's not a serious problem, but I found it annoying, making me pressing the sound button every time when I get into there. I just want to get rid of it. Any help will be appreciated!

Information:
    MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2.53GHz
    4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
    Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2
    Windows 7 Ultimate Version, 64 bit

2. jtrue macrumors newbie

jtrue

Same issue

Same thing happens to me. I installed with BootCamp3.1 and i installed the OS DVD with the drivers after Windows7 install. Sound works but only after i unmute it after every startup.

3. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

Same thing here. I have tried finding a solution but have not been able to up to this point.

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

in osx did you mute before restarting?
    I remember having an issue where if I muted osx and restarted into bootcamp windows would also be muted.

5. Squuiid macrumors 6502a

Same issue here, Late 2010 MacBook Pro with Bootcamp and Win 7 x64.

Very annoying. And no, sound is maxed and on when is OS X. As soon as you boot into Win 7 it mutes regardless of prior setting.

6. dronex thread starter macrumors member

I remembered some time ago, it used to be no problems at all. Windows has sound when boot. But I think once I shut it down while mute, since then, it's all along mute when start up...

7. Squuiid macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I used to have it working fine when using Win 7 x86. Now on x64 on Early 2010 MacBook Pro I get this issue.

8. iJoop macrumors newbie

Same here, but it's just a minor problem. Boot Camp 3.1 is much better than the previous one. :)

9. lawlist macrumors member

Me too -- any solution?

Me too -- any solution?

10. Hai1242 macrumors member

Hey I figured out the solution.

1. Plug in a set of headphones
    2. Go to sound icon in taskbar and click playback devices
    3. Right click the headphones and set it to Default Device
    4. Right click the speakers (Cirrus) and set it to Default Communications Device
    5. Profit

Took me a day to figure this out, but it works for me. Goodluck!

11. dronex thread starter macrumors member

Just tested, so I plugged in the headphone as told by the directions, and it really works on the headphone when it comes to restarting to Windows, I mean the sounds are not muted when I am starting up. But it's only IN the headphone. So after I removed the headphones, I found that the sound icon becomes muted again, which is having a "stop" icon beside it.

Well, maybe I was wrong, but just right after I plugged in my headphones, the headphone has already set as a default device, and I tried to configure it by choosing the "Speakers" as default devices and do it randomly, it still doesn't fix when I tried to restart the machine.

Hai, if you can tell us more about the steps after step 4, I think I can follow it and ultimately we can fix the problem! But anyway, thanks a lot for giving us directions.

12. Van W macrumors member

I had the same problem using Windows 7 in Virtualbox. It basically fixed itself when I downloaded and installed all the Windows Updates. Maybe I did something else that made the difference...I really don't know.

13. Hai1242 macrumors member

After a day it went back to being muted again. Now it is random muted and sometimes not muted. I dunno, I don't care too much I only use win7 to play games. Oh well... :(

14. rixy2010 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. No speaker or headphone output in Win7. Followed all the procedures listed above. I can see the levels on the meters when playing sound but no audio heard. Checked all devices, made sure unmuted, downloaded all updates, still no sound.:mad:
    I do hear the "tada" sound when booting up Win7 but that's it.
    :(
    Rick
    OSX 10.5 late 2009 Macbook Pro 17"

15. michalko.j macrumors member

Same here on 2010 Macbook Pro 13" running windows 7 pro 64. Muted audio on startup but after a few minutes it un-mutes itself.

16. SoRaKaiRiKu macrumors newbie

Hello, I have experienced this as well. Here's what I noticed on mine: if I remove my password to login and start up Windows, it will start up muted. Then, when I used to a password to login, Windows starts up with sound.

17. leftybowler macrumors newbie

I find the password is not necessary. Just keep pressing any keys on your keyboard (except F1 thry F12) during startup and the sound will work.

18. michalko.j macrumors member

Haven't tried this yet but after the 3.2 bootcamp update made me restart, the startup sound was there. Unfortunately every restart after that was back to being muted.

19. lawlist macrumors member

Here is the solution that worked on my MBP 17" i7 Win7 64bit

Okay -- it took a year -- but I just fixed it. Here is what I did. I upgraded to BootCamp 3.2, but that didn't do anything to fix the issue. Then I went into the sound properties, under the section entitled play back devices, speakers, enhancements -- check the box to "disable all enhancements". This was the clue because without checking the box to disable all enhancements, the status was listed as being "disabled" and settings were unavailable to select -- the device manager showed no problems with anything, and uninstalling the sound driver and rebooting did not fix the issue.

20. michalko.j macrumors member

Thank you lawlist for finally figuring this out. It has been quite annoying. For those interested I have a 13" MBP 2.66 C2D, Win 7 Pro 64bit.