Windows 7 Student Discount Edition for Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by irishjpm153, Jul 24, 2010.

1. irishjpm153 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was wondering if the $43 Windows 7 software available through Microsoft (it includes an install disk) would be compatible with Boot Camp on a new MacBook Pro 13"? It says it is an upgrade, but in the details it says that it can be used to do a custom (clean) install in case you need to erase xp and then install 7, and I'm wondering if that would suffice to install windows 7 using boot camp? Thanks for the help

2. marksandvig macrumors regular

Yes, but you need a copy of windows xp or windows visa.

3. jesterscourt macrumors regular

jesterscourt

Not really. Just install it without the serial key, then re-install over itself with the serial key.

4. irishjpm153 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help-

I was reading the installation guide for boot camp, and it stipulates that "you must use a single full-install Windows installation disc. You cannot use an upgrade version of windows." But if the windows 7 disc can do a clean install, will this be an issue?

5. kolax macrumors G3

Lot of Universities have deals with MSDN so their students get free copies of Windows 7 and other development software.

Depends on your degree - I'm doing Computing and I got Windows 7 Ultimate for free. Visual Studio among other development suites are also available for me through my Uni account.

Find out if you're eligible, unless you already bought your disc.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Nope. Just tell it to erase the drive first and you're all set. I've personally done this and it works perfectly. Interestingly enough, if you have XP you can't upgrade directly to Win 7... erasing the drive and installing is the only possible way to do it.

7. irishjpm153 thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question- would this work with parallels software?