Windows 7 student upgrade + bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ryan0402, Aug 7, 2010.

1. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

I want to do some gaming on my 27in quad core imac i5 and I can get the student discount for Windows 7 through MIcrosoft. I know it says upgrade but I have heard it can be a replacement for a corrupted windows xp or vista. Does that mean I can use it for bootcamp I have gooled, mroogled, binged and everything else there is and found no help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, you can use the upgrade disc for clean install as well, see this

3. ryan0402 thread starter macrumors 6502

so i do not have to have a previous version but it is a violation of the EULA. But it will work if that is the only windows software i have. Cause i do not own xp or vista or any previouse versions.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It will work, but you are not following the letter of the license. If that bothers you, the only unquestionably legitimate licenses of Windows for Macs are "full packaged product." Win 7 Home Premium starts at $199 list, currently $149 from NewEgg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116716

Think hackintosh, jailbreaking or jaywalking. Not strictly legal, but not something that can really be fully enforced in any way. If you ignore the license, Microsoft is not required to hold up their end of the bargain either... (Just like Apple says with jailbreak, you may void your waranty).

B

5. unixperience macrumors regular

if hacking the registry is bad, install win7 as a clean install without the product key (windows warns you to activate it within 30 days but no big deal)

now after te first initial updates have installed reboot your computer. insert the win7 dvd and click the .exe file, now you can install win7 again but this time click upgrade. You can now install win7 again and use the upgrade product key and windows will be happy, and you are installing windows over another version of windows, as the upgrade license states.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The license requires you to have a pre-existing license to upgrade from, but the installer doesn't check so you can (generally) install on bare metal.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

So, you can but the validity of your W7 license is questionable unless you have a pre-existing XP or Vista license.

B

7. tolas macrumors newbie

Sorry everyone but I really can't get this to work.

During installation it said "product key not valid" and so I just left that empty and hit next. Booted into windows. Tried to type in the product key during activation there and it throws an error saying that this key is good for upgrades only.

I did a bare metal install on a PC and it works. I can't get anything to work through bootcamp though :(.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Read the guide at "winsupersite clean install upgrade."

EDIT: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

You now need to edit the registry (Step #2) or double install (Step #3).

B

9. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's definitely possible, because it's still a genuine copy of windows. If you want to, after you install it, just google the whole "windows genuine advantage" thingy and install the software and run it. It'll validate your copy of windows and you'll be good to go :) just make sure when you install it that you select custom install, cause that's the full version