Windows 7 Student Upgrade Key

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jondy1703, Sep 26, 2011.

1. jondy1703 macrumors newbie

So I just replaced the hard drive in my early '08 MacBook Pro and I was looking to install Windows 7 on a boot camp partition. The only problem is, I did a clean install of Lion, which only allows you to install Windows 7.

The copy of Windows 7 that I have is the $30 upgrade copy they offer to students. It's a 32-bit Professional key, and you need to have either XP or Vista on the computer in order to utilize it.

I also know that Windows 7 distinguishes between upgrade and full-install keys, i.e. I cannot simply borrow a 32-bit Professional disc and use the key I have to activate the installation.

However, I'm wondering about Anytime Upgrade. I'm not entirely sure of the exact process, but I'm wondering whether or not you can use a trial version of Windows Home and then use Anytime Upgrade with this student upgrade key in order to have a legitimate/"genuine" copy of Windows 7. Anyone have any particular advice on the matter or any ideas as to what I can do to utilize what I have at my fingertips instead of buying a new copy of Windows?

2. wpotere Guest

In order to do the upgrade you would have to have the key in use. If you do a fresh install of 7 without doing the upgrade, you won't be able to use that key, it won't validate it.

You will have to purchase a flu key to install it. OEM will do.

3. jondy1703 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you please elaborate? Flu key?

4. wpotere Guest

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

You can use the student upgrade disk to install Win 7. (I did) .

When you install do not activate it but go to this registry key

Code:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/MediaBootInstall
    change its value from '1' to '0'

Next open an Admin CLI windows (right click on the command line app and 'run as admin').

type
    Code:
    slmgr /rearm
    and hit enter, then wait for the confirmation (might take a little bit) and reboot.

Then you can activate using your Student Key

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Agreed :) I've done this several times and it works like a charm. All that it's doing is making Windows forget that you booted from the disk to install instead of starting the install from a preexisting Windows environment.

7. LeakedDave macrumors regular

^^^ This is gold. It's how I use my Windows 7 Pro Upgrade I got for 29$ Ultimate Steal deal ;)

8. Thedutchjelle macrumors newbie

Sorry for hijacking the thread here but..

This does (still) work when I buy a Windows 7 Upgrade? And what would happen if I were to erase it after installation (for example, to increase HD space on the Windows 7 partition) and reinstall it, would that be possible?

I was planning on getting a Windows 7 Ultimate or Premium upgrade DVD as I can get some student discount on those, but not on the full versions. The price difference is just stupid.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are three main ways to use upgrade media for a clean install, all are documented here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Essentially, the upgrade version doesn't actually do anything to check that you actually have a previous version of XP or Vista. Microsoft is bascially using the honor system, much as Apple did for Snow Leopard. It claimed to install only over Leopard, but MANY upgraded directly from Tiger.

In some cases, students have been able to simply use the key provided with an ISO of a full version (e.g. if they want to install 64 bit instead of 32 bit). So you can try that first. Then the registry hack, and then the double install.

If you care about having a 100% undeniably legitimate license, buy a full retail box. It's the only version that is unquestionably licensable on a Mac. A retail/student upgrade is the next most flexible version, and OEM works too, but has more license and actual activation restrictions.

B

10. Thedutchjelle macrumors newbie

Thanks :). I might just risk it, with a 200 euro difference it's stupid not to.
    Curious though, why does the Bootcamp manual state I can't use a upgrade CD? Just to avoid issues?

11. jondy1703 thread starter macrumors newbie

My problem here is that when I purchased the upgrade, it was through the $30 student deal. You could pay an additional $10 or so for the disc to be shipped to you, but I didn't think I'd need it at the time since I bought it like two years ago.

Will this registry fix work if I download a full .iso of windows 7 professional 32-bit? I downloaded an upgrade ISO of windows 7 professional 32-bit with SP1 but I tried burning it like 30 different ways (including microsoft's own windows 7 iso burner) and boot camp wouldn't recognize it.

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Unfortunately the registry fix only allows you to use an upgrade installation and key as a clean install, not the other way around.

13. jondy1703 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The main reason for this is that the XP upgrade did require verification of a 9x/ME license and there was no way to eject the disc to insert another since there is no mechanical eject button.

Generally, yes. Don't worry about what Boot Camp Assistant recognizes or not. Boot manually from it (insert disc, hold Alt/Option on reboot) and perform your install. (hold Alt/Option again when Windows wants to reboot).

B

15. jondy1703 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly it wasn't even bootable when I'd Alt/Option on a reboot. Not sure what the deal was, I burned it many different ways and none of them would work.