Windows 7 takes 1 minutes 45 seconds to startup in bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrPeanut, Nov 21, 2009.

1. MrPeanut macrumors regular

Is this normal? I've tried changing the number of cores to use at startup as 2 and its a second faster....a second! Anyway, is it normal for it to take 1 minute 45 to start up? I didn't seem to take that long before but its suddenly started doing it.

EDIT: Just to point out, its the 2.53ghz, 4gb macbook pro with 250gb HDD

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Nope. I just had it on my macbook pro with half the ram. We have almost the same machine. Yours is only clocked faster with a larger drive. Mine is still 7200 rpm.. I had a fresh install of w7 (i deleted it like a day later), and it loaded like.. in under a minute. What programs did you have? Any anti virus? That could add 30 seconds. I know Norton does!

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Number of Cores to use? Are you running it in VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

About 40 seconds on my netbook. Something isn't right with your installation.

5. laksemand macrumors newbie

My mid-2009 MBP 13" takes about 1 minute to boot Windows 7 via bootcamp. This is much longer than a PC, and I after I've chosen to boot Windows 7, a black screen with a flashin underscore resembling that of MS-DOS keeps flashing for about 30 seconds until the "Windoes is loading"-screen appears.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That bit about MS-DOS sounds like your install of Windows 7 is pirated. I'm not accusing you of anything, it's just that my friend's computer boots similarly and he pirated Windows 7.

7. MrPeanut thread starter macrumors regular

I think i'm just going to have to reinstall windows 7. I'm not doing it yet though as i've got a big assignment to do at the moment and i'm too scared it'll mess up or something while doing it. I only use the free microsoft antivirus btw.

Thanks everyone for the info aswell

8. tooz macrumors 6502

It's normal. That flashing bar indicates that the BIOS is loading the operating system. It doesn't do it on our macs because of the EFI

oh, and my RC copy takes about that time

9. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

It is NOT normal. Just look over my signature for my config.

Windows 7 32bit gets to the desktop 40-50 secs (boot camp) and 50-60 secs through Fusion (fusion's config is 1 core 2 GHz and 2GBs of RAM)

10. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yah.. i have pictures on my site (in my sig) of me running XP Ultimate 64
    bit.. and the thing booted really fast.. Not even over a minute. Boot Camp.
    I dunno dood.. yah do a fresh install. Got any other proggies running? How full is your hard drive? You know that if it's even 70% full your performance drops a lot. Also how large is the windows partition? Make sure there isn't a lot on it and Windows has a few gigs to breathe. (swap file). Uhm other than that, it's anyones guess.

11. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I know someone that got a decent copy that was pirated and boots normally.
    hah.. friend of a friend.. or something
    LOL
    you know what I is sayin'.