Windows 7 takes ages to boot on Unibody Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cali3350, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Installing the RC of Windows 7 on my Macbook and everything works perfectly fine however it takes ages to start up. The screen will stay at a black screen with a single blinking white cursor for around a minute when trying to start up the system. This is a windows download straight from MSDN so the windows operating system is clean and nothing fishy is going on.

Anyone else have this issue and/or found a way around it?

Thanks guys!

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Windows 7 takes ages to boot on a PC as well.

3. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

I lol'ed, I really did.

4. ergosteur macrumors newbie

Same here. I'm running a copy of Windows 7 enterprise from Microsoft Licensing on a MacBook Pro Late 2008. I have tried partitioning using the boot camp assistant and by using diskutil at the command line. When Boot camp is used, Windows boots pretty much consistently after ~45sec of the blinking cursor. Using custom partitioning however, it takes much longer.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Using the last/latest RC 32-bit/64-bit versions before Microsoft stopped the download, Windows 7 booted pretty quick (on par with OS X). I know there was a thread here when someone asked the same question, why did it stay at the black screen with blinking cursor and the answer was because he downloaded one off a torrent and it was already hacked/activated.

Would you have Windows 7 RC that Microsoft released to the public through their download site? Maybe try that to see if it's the computer or Windows itself.

6. ergosteur macrumors newbie

hmmm. I'll try the RC, but the RTM one is one I got through work, since we're MS Software assurance customers, so I hope it doesn't have an activation hack on it :)

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's the only thing I could think of. If the RC version boots quick like it should and the RTM one doesn't, there has to be something different between the two versions, not necessarily meaning that one is activated through crack or whatever.

8. sonspot macrumors member

i had build 7000 and 7127 (i think) and both booted quick. too bad for you folks with slow boot up time, (really does it matter)..

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm pretty sure that's an issue where the bootloader isn't loading properly, I think because of the BIOS emulation... I wouldn't be too hasty to blame Windows, since they worked on boot time optimizations, and Apple loves to nerf Windows at every chance they get.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Hmm. But if RC boots fast and RTM doesn't, it would have to be Windows and not the bootloader?

11. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Odd. I'm running the RTM Windows 7 x64 Professional. Boots up pretty fast, ie 35 seconds or so. I do have my 500gb drive partitioned 200/300 though. Also latest boot camp drivers. I had a really slow boot up after I installed AVG-free on it, ie my boot time over doubled. It sped up after I uninstalled it and just installed microsoft esentials for antivirus.

12. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Check event viewer (Start > right-click My Computer > Manage). It sounds like a driver or device could be hanging? Is this before or after the loading logo?

My Win7 install (32bit RC1 from MS) loads pretty quickly on my first gen MacBok with just 1.25GB RAM, no blinking cursor here.

BTW, this needs to be moved to Windows on Mac (Software forum).

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

OP problem occurs before the Windows/Windows 7 logo so it wouldn't be anything really hanging.

14. umiwangu macrumors 6502

My apologies, missed that.

If OP doesn't have any data to worry about, just wipe and reinstall.

15. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

i have windows 7 installed on my late 2008 unibody macbook. i certainly don't get stuck at the 'blinking cursor' screen for more than a few seconds, let alone 45.

16. ergosteur macrumors newbie

Well turns out you're sort of right. I wasn't using the crack, however I was attempting to use Grub4Dos to boot Ubuntu. Grub4Dos has issues with GPT partition tables and that's what causes the problem. Apparently those Win7 activation cracks use a modified Grub4Dos.

I think I'm just going to run my other OSes in VirtualBox and not touch the physical partitions.

17. umiwangu macrumors 6502

If you just need to triple boot Mac/Win/Ubuntu, just use Wubi with Bootcamp, pretty handy.