Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
I have read that in order to get internet to your parrallels/vm ware/ or virtual box you need to bridge the internet connection somehow, is this correct?

or would it benefit me to hook up both nics (i run a mac pro) and put one to the mac and 1 to the windows virtual box?

thanks

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
You can run a single NIC and share it with the virtual machine. There are two modes. Bridged will give the VM it's own MAC address and it will try to get it's own IP address. I run this way a lot on my work machine laptop. The other mode is NAT, the VM will "share" the main system's IP.

I suppose you could hook up a second NIC and assign it to the VM but I don't see the need really unless you have massive network traffic needed for both the host and the VM at the same time.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
You can run a single NIC and share it with the virtual machine. There are two modes. Bridged will give the VM it's own MAC address and it will try to get it's own IP address. I run this way a lot on my work machine laptop. The other mode is NAT, the VM will "share" the main system's IP.

I suppose you could hook up a second NIC and assign it to the VM but I don't see the need really unless you have massive network traffic needed for both the host and the VM at the same time.

Thanks!

i might go the double nic route because my windows 7 will be serving up playon server! it maybe beneficial to give each its own nic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.