Windows 7, Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard. What to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iGuardian, Jun 21, 2009.

1. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

The Situation: While partitioning my hard drive in Leopard, the Hard Drive got corrupted. I had lost my iMac's origional Tiger disks, along with the Leopard ones (they were in the same box that got lost as we moved). All I had left was a Windows 7 disk which I used to format the hard drive with and install Windows 7 on.

So now I'm running Windows 7. I'm ordering my Tiger disk from Apple for $16, and they say that I can buy the retail Snow Leopard disk in September for $120 (if I'm running Tiger) or Leopard for $129 (and then buy Snow Leopard for $29 later on)

So what should I do?
    Should I erase Windows 7 for Tiger?
    Should I buy Leopard now and then the upgrade for Snow Leopard later? Should I not buy Leopard and not install Tiger then just buy the Snow Leopard disk for $120 later on?
    Or should I just stay with Windows :)O)?

Thanks in advance :D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would buy Leopard now and SL when it comes out for $29
    And I would Boot Camp Windows 7

But that's just me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am doing Windows 7 and Leopard

I am going to hold off on SL for awhile as no upgrades for it really, really appeal to me

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I would just use 7 and Tiger until Snow Leopard comes out. Then grab snow leopard. There's not a lot in Snow Leopard that you don't have in Tiger.

6. stownsend3 macrumors member

Seriously? I would argue that Leopard was a rather significant update to Tiger.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would agree

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Tiger has no time machine, you learned a lesson with one corrupted drive, don't experience it twice. Get leopard and eventually snow leopard for 29$ when it will be introduced.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sure it is, but how often do you heavily rely on Leopard only features? I use Time Machine and Spaces a lot, and they fit my work flow very well. But it would take me about half an hour to get settled with Tiger if I had to go back. There's not a lot in Leopard I can do that I can't in Tiger.

Because Apple invented backup with time machine. :rolleyes:

10. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Like anything though, while apple didn't invent it, they bundled it with the software, made it easy to use, and made it look cool. There isn't backup software out there that can claim all that imo. Plus if you were already buying an OS of some sort, its basically free.

And SL is an upgrade everyone can use. Who doesn't want more speed, 6gb back on the hard drive, a cleaner quicktime, a better finder, etc? And for $29? Thats chump change for *most* people... I really could care less about new UI features - its pretty slick as is. I want stability and speed as the apps are the focus, the OS is just a playground for them to run in... fwiw

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Which is why I said to just use Tiger and get Snow Leopard for $120 when it comes out. There's no sense in spending $150 now.

12. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

This might not screw well with every one elses opinion... but I say you download a copy of Tiger or Leopard from a torrent and then upgrade to Snow Leopard when it comes out.

If you purchased Leopard it guarantees you to install it on a computer. To me, it doesn't matter how you get that installation. I certainly don't think you should pay twice for something you legitimately purchased.

Of course, it's not like Apple makes it hard to torrent their OS releases. They don't even require SN's...

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Oh duh!
    Yeah, if you've already purchased a copy of Leopard I say you torrent it. Screw ethics (I see nothing wrong with it, but I'm sure some brown noser who has never torrented a CD will raise his/her voice) if you bought it you own it.

14. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Or you can buy Leopard used on eBay or Amazon for around $80, then upgrade to SL later.

15. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

Go with Tiger, install a virtual desktop (Desktop Manager), make a script (rsync -v -c -r -u -z /path/to/laptop/ user@myIP:/path/to/desktop) or find a freeware (iBackup...) to do your backup.

Use QuickSilver for a launcher (replace spotlight in a good way if you don't like it).

Get Snow Leopard when it come out or when th X.6.1 get out to not run into the first release bugs. Dual boot the Windows 7.

16. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Hah, I don't think there's anything ethically wrong with it period. You bought a license, not a CD. Plastic doesn't cost $129 a disc.

Of course, my morals are already pretty loose when it comes to digital downloads. Ask me why I don't feel the need to pay $30 to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it's obvious they're only releasing it to cover up the fact that Leopard classic was half-baked and full of bad apples. :rolleyes:

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Or save $80 and torrent an OS the OP already owns.

18. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I'd personally just go download an image of Leopard, especially if you truly lost the disk. Screw buying it again at full retail.

19. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

+1

However, I would make sure I have an official copy of a Mac OS X for peace of mind as well (be it Tiger or whatever).

*And HOW could you lose all your OS X discs?!?!

20. iGuardian thread starter macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Hmm, I might do that after I install Tiger.

Haha well, long story short, while we were packing to move, I wisely decided to put my OS X disks, software disks, etc (but not the computer, and Win7 thank god) into one box labled "Comp. & Tech"

Guess which box went missing?

So, after reading everone's advice, here's what I'm going to do:

1. Order the Tiger disk. -- It's wise to do this nomatter what; everyone needs a backup.
    2. Install Tiger/Keep 7. -- I'm not sure if I really can let go of Seven yet (it's so... shiney) But I'll probably end up installing Tiger in the end.
    3. Buy the full $120 Snow Leopard disk when it comes out. -- I'll feel safer if I have a full install disk of Snow Leopard vs just an upgrade, just in case of another catistrophic failure.

Thanks for all your replies!

21. jgrantcarrick macrumors newbie

re: OS question

ummmmmmm...torrent. Like others said you already paid for the license.

22. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I called Apple and needed a Leopard disc to reinstall iCal. I told them I had left it at home, which I had, and was out of town. The guy said he could have one shipped to me in a day or so.

I guess if you just give them the serial and it shows you are a registered leopard license then they will just send you a disc. I would never buy it again. Or take it into the apple store and they will re-install it.

So hopefully you see this because its a way better option than ordering new discs. And then just pay the upgrade from leopard to SL when its available.

23. DataCabbitKSW macrumors newbie

iGuardian, good choice on the order there. Definitely get a copy of Tiger (and Leopard if you can swing it for minimal cost) because having system backup and install disks are essential. Not just for doing reinstalls or repairs, but for peace of mind for the "Just in Case" scenarios. I would also keep the Windows 7 and dual boot until both final Snow Leopard and Windows 7 come out to retail. Then get them and go official.

Just as a reminder, hopefully you are running the Windows 7 Release Candidate. If you are still using the beta, it will time out on you very soon. If you are using build 7100 (the RC) or later, it will continue to work just fine until March 1st of 2010. However, since Windows 7 comes out on October 22nd, that gives you plenty of time.

The most recent estimates I have seen for Snow Leopard release claim September, but I haven't seen official press releases to back it up.

24. iGuardian thread starter macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Alright, so, after using Windows 7 for a few weeks now, I'm actually on the fence of wheather or not I should go back to Mac.

It's just that.. I find that the equivilent for the PC for (almost) everything I have on my mac is on Windows 7 also. Except for iLife. (although Windows Live Photogallery is a good alternative to iPhoto)

I don't know, what do you guys think?

25. three macrumors 6502a

three

I was going to say the exact same thing. Go back to Mac OS X, you will realise that it is much better than Windows is!