WIndows 7 Ultimate upgrade/bootcamp question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by techguy40, Oct 22, 2010.

1. techguy40 macrumors regular

Can you use windows 7 ultimate upgrade version for bootcamp?

2. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

I had windows 7 PRO 64-bit on my 15" MBP 5,3 model. Bootcamp 3 from the Snow Leopard disk, worked just fine. no problems. I doubt Ultimate will be any different, its still the same OS, should still be the same drivers.
    Just a side note, I went back to windows Xp. win7 was destroying my battery.

3. techguy40 thread starter macrumors regular

Does it have to be full version or can you use an upgrade version?

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

5. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

I don't understand your question. Both of those versions are on the same disk... Its just a choice of when you install it. Personally I chose to do a clean install, I just like it that way. Less problems.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Let's be clear. When you buy an upgrade license you are telling Microsoft that you have a valid underlying Windows license already installed or transferable per the EULA to your Mac. The product key that comes with a retail upgrade version will not clean install without a workaround like the link provided. The workaround gets around the technical limitations of the installer/product key combo. Similarly an OEM license product key will generally not let you install as an upgrade over an existing install. Only a full retail version and product key gives you complete flexibility and is clearly transferable to other hardware.

Ultimately it is up to you to know (and care) if your copy of Windows is properly licensed.

B

7. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

HHmmm. I guess I bought a clean install version then. But who cares! Student discount, it was 30$. =) If you're not a student, find a friend who is. All you need is a student email to buy it with, they send you a download link and the Serial #. You download the image file, make your own cd. Easy.

8. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member