Windows 7 Ultimate XP mode running in VMware in SL.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by almac68, Nov 1, 2009.

1. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

Hi guys,

Has anyone done this? I have windows 7 ultimate 64 installed in vmware in my mac SL. Unfortunately when I tried to run the Virtual PC in XP mode, its says my pc does not have hardware assisted virtualization. I don't get it. Is this an issue with running xpm in a virtual machine or my mac mini really does not have hardware assisted virtualization? I am going to check my natively installed windows xp to see if it has the hardware to assist virtualization. Will update shortly. In the meantime, can anyone advice what is going on. Thanks.

Alex

2. almac68 thread starter macrumors member

almac68

Damn! Now I really hate Microsoft. Why the hell do they noy have support for all modern CPU with their XP mode Virtual pc. I just checked the list on this website

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=946&page=3&tag=mncol;txt

and sure enough P7350 C2D cpu in our mac mini isn't supported.

This really sucks!!!!! Damn you microsoft. Looks like I have to stick with XP.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

You can't run XP mode in a virtual machine as XP mode is basically another virtual machine. As for the P7350, Apple has a special version of the CPU that will support XP mode just fine.

4. almac68 thread starter macrumors member

almac68

Ok. Thanks for the answer on that. Another Q.

I have checked my cpu with SecurAble.exe and its saying VT is Locked ON? What does that mean? Does it mean my cpu is the version you are referring to? If it is not, then I am out of luck, I can't upgrade the cpu on my early 2009 mac mini as the cpu is glued onto the socket.

Anyway, I am working toward actually installing windows 7 32bit into my mac mini via bootcamp. Nothing better than actually doing it to see if it works. Will update tomorrow.

5. almac68 thread starter macrumors member

almac68

Good NEWS!

Update: OK, I did a native install of windows 7 on my mac and turns out my mac mini (early 2009) supports VT and I can run XP mode. Now that I have gotten it to work, didn't feel it being any different to running xp on a virtual pc or vmware in terms of speed. Thought it will be faster in xp mode.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Why? Running Windows 7 is pretty intense... then you add in virtual machine within a virtual machine?

7. almac68 thread starter macrumors member

almac68

I did that initially and of course it didn't work. Securable even reported from within VMware that my CPU does not support VT which it does. I installed windows 7 on my internal hard drive (not using any virtual environment) and it seems to be working fine with VT support as well. There is a website reporting that P7350 cpu doesn't support VT, which was obviously wrong.

In case if anyone is interested to know if they can use XP mode in mac mini (early 2009), here is the answer if there isn't one already.

Not sure what you mean by intense. It seems to run fine on my mac. With 4 GB of ram, I think its not a problem at all.