Windows 7 upgrade Macpro 2,1 from Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Shadowkahn, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Shadowkahn macrumors newbie

Finally have my computer where I want it to be - except for upgrading to Windows 7 - been testing that operating system for the last few months though on a custom computer that couldn't run Vista worth a damn (it runs Windows 7 like a dream though - go figure).

Rather pleased with it overall and now I want to upgrade my Mac Pro (macpro 2,1 3.0Ghz Xeon Quad) from Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.

Now having tested the upgrade process on the other computer I really don't think it should be a problem Vista to Windows 7 (that was the RC).

But I came across this KB on apple's website http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920 saying that Apple does not support upgrading to Windows 7 on what I believe is my model of Mac Pro.

I'm curious if anyone else had any issues upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista on their Mac Pro, and if so how did you work through your issues?

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Your machine is running EFI32. This will cause issues with the ISO format Microsoft is using. I would stay away from downloadable upgrade versions and rely on DVD distributions for your model.

If you encounter problems with the EFI32 you can use a known work around. I would also follow the hint from Apple and wait for Bootcamp 3.1. The 3.0 version has some nasty bugs one of which causes blue screens from a bad HFS driver.