Windows 7 using Bootcamp and USB drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by debidkeem, Dec 23, 2012.

1. debidkeem macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me install Windows 7 on a 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro? This is my first Mac since the Apple IIe and it's great, but I would still like to run Windows on it, if possible. Maybe with my setup it's not possible, I don't know.

I do not have an external drive. I do have 2 USB drives that I could use. I also have a perfectly functioning Windows 7 PC that has a DVD drive.

I have downloaded an ISO file for Windows 7 and tried to proceed with the install using Bootcamp. It comes to an end when Bootcamp says:

"Your bootable USB drive could not be created
    Boot Camp only supports 64-bit Windows installation on this platform. Please use a ISO file for 64-bit Windows installation."

Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Crosses fingers...

2. lightz39 macrumors regular

Get the 64 bit version of windows. You probably have the x86 one right now.

3. theairballer macrumors newbie

I'm in the same exact position except with a 15 inch retina MBP and own an external hard drive! I have tried for days to get past the error that my "bootable usb drive could not be created". I have tried both .iso files for Windows 7 32 AND 64 bit but they have both failed. If anybody could help me get past this error message, I would appreciate it greatly. :D

4. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

I did it a week or so ago and it was super straight forward. Let me know if you still need help.

Step one is to download the iso for Windows 7. What license do you have? Make sure you have the 64 bit version.

You need at least 1 USB drive of at least 8gig's of storage, this is where bootcamp utility tool will save all of the drivers, etc.

Bootcamp Assistant makes things very very easy.

Again let me know if you have issues.

5. theairballer macrumors newbie

It is the 64 bit version for sure, but it should work for both versions. Memory is not the issue as I am using a 1TB external hard drive that is currently empty.

Let me reiterate: my issue is that I cannot solve the issue that comes from bootcamp assistant trying to make a bootable version of windows 7 from the .iso file. The issue specifically reads "Your bootable USB drive could not be created".

6. boudboa macrumors newbie

I got the exact same issue, downloaded 2 different iso, one directly form microsoft and still absolutely unable to get past that same error message.

Tried a bunch of things and start to feel like that Boot Camp Assistant, at least in it's latest version is just not working for some computers.

Mine is a brand new mac mini with latest firmware and OSX 10.8.2

I even already have a bootable USB drive but I have no Idea how I could use it on my mac.
    I guess I am just going to drop boot camp and look for other ways to install windows as I already lost 2 days over it now.

7. debidkeem thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the link I used to download Windows 7 Home 64 bit to my Mac desktop:

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

I have an 8 GB USB flash drive and a license key for Windows 7 Home. Still can not get past the error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

9. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

10. debidkeem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for checking. Any other ideas?

11. ZakBrandonJake macrumors member

Try to unmount the iso before, if not download a new copy of windows.

12. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I got windows 7 ultimate from that site and made a bootable USB from it. I downloaded it on a windows pc then went to Microsoft and downloaded some program that made the bootable USB from the ISO. I then used a different USB for the drivers for bootcamp.

Edit: here's a link to the program to make a bootable USB using windows

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool