Windows 7 Using Parallels On rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNewbie02, Jul 4, 2012.

1. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Hi,

I understand that Parallels released an update to support the rMBP.

I would like to know your thoughts of the new Parallels update in regards to the rMBP - especially about Windows 7 which I plan on using.

Are you happy with the update? Does it fully support Windows 7 under rMBP? Does Windows looks crisp and clear? Which resolution are you using and what DPI?

If you can please share pictures and/or videos.

Thanks a lot.

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Windows looks perfectly clear up to 2880 x 1800. You can't actually see anything clearly as things are much too small, but if you take a screen shot and enlarge things you can see they're perfectly clear. ;)

My Windows Experience Index under Parallels is a 5.5

Processor: 7.6
    Memory: 5.5
    Graphics: 6.0
    Gaming Graphics 6.0
    Primary Hard Disk: 7.9

3. macNewbie02 thread starter macrumors regular

Which resolution are you using? And what are you thoughts of the display quality and the overall use of Windows 7 and Parallels under the new rMBP?

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I couldn't remember what resolution I ran it on, so I just reran it at 1440x900 and 2888x1800 (Using SwitchResX). Exactly the same results both times.

Mostly what I use Windows for is playing video files that aren't in my XMBC library. I find the Mac options (VLC, MPlayerX, Quicktime with Perian) to be deficient in one way or another, so if there's something I just want to play, I use Media Player Classic under Parallels. I find it works fine with 1080p MKV videos whether on the local drive or streaming from a USB drive attached to my Mini. Playing 4K videos there was some jerkiness.

I feel Windows on Parallels on a 2012 MBP is faster than running it natively on all but the newest Windows machines, at least for everyday uses. It's not up to the challenges of the latest games, of course, but should handle older games nicely.

I also use it all day at work connected to a Windows desktop via Remote Desktop. Text and graphics are crisp and clear - much better than the PC's own driver when connected to a monitor. I generally run Windows at 1920x1200 on it.