Windows 7 via Boot camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by h4mmer34, Jan 5, 2011.

1. h4mmer34 macrumors member

The other day i tried to install windows 7 via boot camp. However, i installed the 64 bit windows and after it installed, i put in my Mac osx disk to get the drivers and it said boot camp doesnt support 64 bit and it totally screwed my computer up. I had to rest my whole computer using (command+option+P+R) and had to reinstall osx. So what i want to know is, does boot camp really not support 64 bit or did i do something wrong? Will the same thing happen if i do it again using 32 bit? Thanks!

2. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

BootCamp supports 64-bit OSes unless something has changed in the past year or so. Installing Win7 should not have done anything to your OSX install. Same goes for installing Boot Camp drivers. How did it "totally screw up your computer"? Did it have a kernel panic? Did you get the "?" on a gray screen when you turned it on? More information is needed.

You probably used a Leopard disk, which doesn't have 64-bit drivers. I believe they are on the Snow Leopard disk. You would probably be better off downloading the latest version direct from Apple.

3. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

I run Win 7 64 in boot camp, however, it is not supported. Win 7 found all the drivers it needed other then sound, and that was easy to find on the Realtek web site.

When attempting (twice since 10.6) to install boot camp drivers in in win 7 64 the boot camp portion of the SL DVD stated that 64 bit was not supported. So I download the new update and still got the same indicator.

Now I have not have a problem with the install, in fact it works great. It bascially set it up as a dual boot (just hold down the option key when the Mac fires up.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sure it is. With Boot Camp 3.x (i.e Snow Leopard) and on the appropriate Macs. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1846

I requested the thread be moved to the Windows on Mac forum.

B

5. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

I am happy it worked for you, however, it didn't work for me and hence I just did a work around and now there are no problems it is working and in no way will I attempt to redo it.

Things don't always work the way they should for some reason. It is just like all those individuals who buy a new Mac and have to return them several times before they get a good one (no problems).

6. h4mmer34 thread starter macrumors member

When i restarted my computer it would try to load into windows every time but instead of going into windows a black screen would come up and on the top left of the screen there was a line like "__".

The only way i was able to get back to osx was by doing the command+option+PR

7. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

That is normal behavior, albeit a very stupid one. You have to hold down Option (I think) on boot-upto bring up the bootable OSes installed on your mac. If you were able to get back to OS X why did you have to re-install it?

lee14160: What model is your Mac?

8. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

See specs below.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is vital information for trying to help both h4mmer34 and lee14160. The point is that all but the earliest 2006 Intel Macs are capable of running a 64 bit version of Windows, but only certain later models (in the link I provided) are supported with Boot Camp with drivers, etc...

The infamous black screen cursor problem. Usually it will continue in to the boot after 30-60 seconds. Have you waited to see what happens?

There are many possible causes and ways to "fix" this.

1) Rewrite the Windows7/Vista MBR to the boot sector, you can do this via EasyBCD if Windows boots or the Startup Repair wizard/recovery console on the Windows 7 startup disc.

2) Remove all unnecessary cables from your Mac during the install process.

3) Remove some RAM temporarily then reinstall once you have fixed the underlying problem

4) Don't use a "pirated" copy of Windows 7 that uses an activation hack...

NOTE: This is not a Mac specific problem as you can get a long list of hits googling "black screen cursor" at sevenforums.com

For mac specific threads about this issue enter the following string in Google
    Code:
    black screen "windows 7" cursor OR underscore site:forums.macrumors.com
    B

10. h4mmer34 thread starter macrumors member

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's a "mid 2009" model and thus not officially supported for use with 64 bit.

You can go back to the supported 32 bit install http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1899 or install the drivers manually and fill in with OEM drivers where necessary.

B

12. h4mmer34 thread starter macrumors member

so if i install windows again with the 32 bit i should be ok?

13. gumbyx84, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Ya you should be fine.

balamw, I thought all the Mid 2009 machines were supported. That is what is says at the knowledge base http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1846
    I ask as I am planning on installing Win7 x64 and would like to know if it will def work. I have a 4,1 (Mid 2008) and it is supposed to be supported as well.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

All the MBPs are, but h4mmer34 has a Macbook5,2, no Pro. ;) According to Wikipedia that's a mid 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook

B

15. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Swore I saw MacBook Pro. Sorry about that.... hehehe :(

16. h4mmer34 thread starter macrumors member

I just bought snow leopard and am about to install it. After i install will i be able to run 64 bit?

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

64 bit is not supported by Apple for your Mac. The Snow Leopard disc doesn't contain the drivers you would need.

In general though you can make it work with a bit of effort on most Macs made after 2007, but it is only supported on the short list I've linked to.

I forgot to ask. How much RAM do you have?

B

18. h4mmer34 thread starter macrumors member

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Don't bother with 64 bit. Your Macbook already loses some RAM to the video card so you wouldn't see any real benefit. 32 bit will be perfectly fine.

B

20. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

After purchasing Adobe Photoshop CS5, and getting Quicken working there is no longer a reason for Windows on my Mac, so as of today I am back to the old days when all I used was my Mac.

Happy days are here again. . .:apple: