Windows 7 Via Bootcamp|Perfect Install on Macbook Pro|Not Installing On Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Chocolate Baby, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Chocolate Baby macrumors member

I got the Windows RC1. I installed it perfectly with bootcamp on my macbook pro, no problems, no issues. On that install I partitioned the one and only drive in the notebook. I then went to install it on my Desktop mac pro. I wanted to allocate a complete drive to it, so I dropped in a WD blue in the 3rd bay. Formatted it, I tried both ways. Partitioning & dedicating the entire drive to windows 7. Neither worked. It started the install everything seemed normal until you get to the prompt screen to format the boot camp disk. The second after the format is done, and you hit ok it error codes w/windows is unable to install on blah blah blah.

Anyone out there experience this?

My game plan is to dedicate my 3rd drive to it. I just partitioned it the one time to see if I could get a green light. So I would like to figure out the dedicated drive method. This is what I get for installing windows, a headache

Your thoughts....
    Chocolate Baby is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

2. JessicaD macrumors newbie

Chocolate Baby,

Its great that you are loving Windows 7! There are so many great new features included in the new OS that it is a great idea to dedicate an entire hard drive to Win 7. Aside from posting in this forum, it may be helpful to also post over at Microsoft's Windows 7 forums for additional support and feedback. http://tinyurl.com/9fhdl5

Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

3. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

I just installed it today (twice actually, after changing my mind about something) so I can tell you how to do it. What I did was completely ignore Boot Camp and used Disk Utility to format the intended Windows drive as FAT32/Master Boot Record. Then I just rebooted with C held down and the Windows 7 CD took care of the rest.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro so all my drivers etc were on my OS disc. If you need to burn the drivers, by all means use Boot Camp just for that part :)

I got a warning in Windows 7 that Boot Camp had issues with the RC but it has been rock solid so far.

4. Chocolate Baby thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, first off thanks for the input. I was getting nowhere. So bypass boot camp all together. On restart it will automatically choose that Fat/32 drive?

I just automatically assumed that Boot Camp was an integral part of running windows on mac. But if you say so I will believe you. I will give it a go.

5. ebotee macrumors newbie

ebotee

Boot Camp simplifies the entire process by automatically shrinking the HFS and creating a FAT32 partition of your choosing. It also tells the computer to boot from the install media when you complete the wizard in Leopard. Boot camp also supplies the drivers for the Windows system to use once it is up and running. If you want to manually choose the boot location, hold down the option key as the system boots up and you should get a menu to choose where to boot from.

Hope this helps.

6. Chocolate Baby thread starter macrumors member

All I have the option for formatting is MS-Dos (FAT) where is the master boot record or is that it?

7. Chocolate Baby thread starter macrumors member

I give up, Again I did it already on the macbook so I know I am doing it right.

This is what is says after I format the drive in the windows install

"windows is unable to install to the selected location. error 0x80300024"

the only difference is I am on 10.5.7 on the macbook and 10.5.6 on the Mac Pro desktop.

8. Chocolate Baby thread starter macrumors member

FIXED IT MYSELF! Not that anyone cares by the look of thread responses.

I pulled out the OSX boot drive from bay#1 and made it sit on the bench for windows install and it's all good!

9. Ralion macrumors newbie

I was having the same issue. Pulling my boot drive and secondary Mac OS Volume allowed for the installation to continue. Very strange issue.

Thanks for the tip, Chocolate.

10. sammcj macrumors member

sammcj

Dont feed the M$ Troll!

Don't feed the Micro$oft troll!

Such a crackup that a 'Windows Client Team' member would join up to MacRumors just to try to convert people back!

baahaha made might night ;)

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Or resurrect dead threads ? ;)

By doing so you have just brought further attention to something which you are now posting & telling everyone to ignore.

Do you not see the irony in your actions ?