Windows 7 VmWare problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by andyjamesnelson, Dec 22, 2009.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

Hey,

I installed a legit 32bit copy of Windows 7 on my Macbook pro with Boot Camp. Then I installed the boot camp drivers. All works get.

The problems start when I try and run it under VM Ware. It nearly boots and then says there is a problem and I get a blue screen :(

Andy ideas?

Andy

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No idea, I successfully loaded my bootcamp partition into VMware w/o any problems. Did you check the console or vmware logs?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

How did you create your VM? Is it set to the right target OS?

B

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, I'm not using the bootcamp partition but I did successfully test it out. I found there is a (fairly small but it is noticeable) performance penalty for using the bootcamp partition inside vmware. I'm getting more bang for my buck by creating a VM instead of using the bootcamp partition.

When I used the bootcamp partition, it showed up in the Vmware library, I selected run, it installed all sorts of stuff, reboot once or twice and came up. No fuss or muss on my part.

Like I said, I'm not using win7 that way so, I deleted that from the vmware library window, and now I'm using win7 inside a vmware file.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

My questions were to the OP ;).

B

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

:eek: Oops

Off topic but how did yuo get the
    to display. I use my iPhone from time to time on this forum and that never come up. I do select iPhone friendly option on the drop down box at the bottom left of the forums.